MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Network : Support & Services > Feature & Member Support

Feature & Member Support Questions about how to use the features on the Knife Network web site? Problems logging in? Post them in here.

Old 08-09-2005, 11:30 AM
Skilled

Need help removing a virus

I just did a scan and Norton shows that I have a IRC Trojan and a W32-Jeffo virus, but it won't delete or quarantine them. Anyone have a suggestion on how to remove these critters if Norton won't do it?

Old 08-09-2005, 11:37 AM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
For the IRC Trojan, go here: http://securityresponse.symantec.com...alinstructions

For the W32-Jeffo (I think you meant W32-Jeefo), go here: http://securityresponse.symantec.com...w32.jeefo.html

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 11-09-2005, 03:18 AM
Steel Addict

You can also try the old standard ones:
Stinger by McAfee or Symantic
www.trend.com and follow steps for free virus scan

Might as well clean out your Spywear while you're at it with Spybot SD and Adaware from Lavasoft.

All these are free.

Steve
nettech3@cox.net
Old 11-09-2005, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator

I think this is for the same on-line scan that cavetech pointed out, but this is the URL I have: http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

A year or so ago I started having problems with my home PC. It seemed like virus problems, but I had all the Norton stuff loaded up and constantly updated. I ended up taking it to a local PC shop and the techs there found 6 or 7 viruses that Norton didn't detect! Their experience was that no single virus protection was adequate and they would periodically check their machines with housecall.

Its a dangerous world out there and a little paranoia (at least when it comes to virus/spyware protection) is a good thing to have.

Old 11-10-2005, 12:29 AM
Steel Addict

Yes, that is the same site as Trend.com.

Also download McAfee Stinger at:

http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

If you've got a nasty bug you may have to go after it in Safe Mode. If you use Windows XP you may have to disable the Restore To An Earlier Date feature because it remembers you computer setup and can reinfect your machine. Especially if you have to restore to an earlier date. Then you get the bug back.

Update your anti virus every day. Scan you computer frequently. Scan all incoming e-mail. Never open an e-mail from a sender you do not know. Never click on a popup. New bugs come out all the time.

Don't install multiple anti virus programs on your machine. They might fight. Do use your anti virus program and double check with Trend.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

The local pc-heads recommended AVG (www.grisoft.com). It updates very frequently and seems to work pretty well. (Also has the best price.)