MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Network : Support & Services > Feature & Member Support

Feature & Member Support Questions about how to use the features on the Knife Network web site? Problems logging in? Post them in here.

Old 03-06-2005, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
OK, A wireless networking question......

Hi Gang!

I have a good one for you this time. Let's talk about wireless networking. I have a total of four computers.... 1 in my wife's office (wireless connection), 1 in my office (in the basement, and is connected via ethernet cable), my daughter's laptop (wireless connectioin), and a laptop in my shop. (connected via ethernet cable).

Here's what I want to do.... I want to make the laptop in my shop wireless, so that I can tote it between the finish shop and the blacksmith shop as needed. I have hardwire into the finish shop now, but the wireless router in the house (D-link DI-624) is just far enough away that I can't get a reliable signal to the finish shop, and none at all to the blacksmith shop. I have a D-link wireless access point on the way (DWL-2100ap), and would like to install it in the finish shop, running on the same network as the router in the house.

Here's my question...... the DI-624 router that is in the house is of course connected to an ethernet cable. That same cable goes to a hub/switch in the basement, then through the basement, outside, and to the finish shop where there is a second hub/switch, and then to the antenna located atop my finish shop. What type of confilcts or problems will I run into if I connect the new access point to the hub/switch located in the finish shop? I tried this once before with a different brand router and it kills the wireless connection in the house (the wife gets really grumpy when her internet connection doesn't work )
I looked at the D-link website, and it says that these two products will work with each other.....but sometimes what they say and what happens are two different things.

Just fishing for advice/information.

Thanks!

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 03-07-2005, 08:02 AM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
One thing to understand about wireless routers is that they want to "run the network", in that they want to be the arbiter of who gets what IP address, what's the default internet connection, etc. If you have two on the same network, that could cause some conflicts. I think what you'd want to do is turn off all the routing functions so that the router works more like a wireless hub. (Or, if you could find a wireless HUB, not router, that'd be even better.)

You may also want to search for a wireless network repeater.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 03-07-2005, 11:01 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks Jamey!

The more I read the manuals on the D-link DI-624 and the DWL-2100ap, the more I think what I'll have to do is get two of the 2100ap models and replace my old wireless router. The 2100ap is just an access point, and D-link tuants it as being able to run in 5 different modes. What they don't tell you, until you read the fine print is that in order for them to operate in the different modes, you must have two of them. I'm gona give it a shot with just one, making it a "repeater" for the router......but if I can't make that work then I'll buy another 2100ap.

I really like the looks of the new "Pre-N" stuff out there, but it is awfully expensive right now. Maybe in another year or two when the new "N" stanard hits the market, the prices will go down a bit. My biggest probelm is that I started with a dial-up, and now we have a "wireless" ISP that runs at 100Mbps........I'm just not satisfied unless I can use that 100Mbps or more (the D-Link products put out 108Mbps if you use the same line of products in all your machines).

I'll keep you posted on my "wireless" adventure....

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 03-12-2005, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator

More on the D-link DWL-2100ap wireless access point

I received the access point yesterday. I've been fighting with it ever since. The only way I could access the web based configuration was to hard wire it to a LAN port on my D-link DI-624 wireless router and access it from my wife's wireless connection. I need to update the firmware to get the 108Mbps, but D-link says not to do it over a wireless connection or it will damage the access point. I've written an email to D-links tech support, but who knows when or if I'll hear back to them.

Supposedly your suppose to be able to hook the access point directly to a computer via an ethernet cable and configure it that way, but whenever I try this the web browser times out when I enter the IP of the access pont.

If I don't hear back from D-link by Monday I think I'll try to update the firmware with it hooked to the router.....I might destroy the access point, but can't figure out any other options to get to the configuration.

I'll let you know what happens.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

Old 03-13-2005, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator

I got an email back from D-link support, recommending that I call the support center. I did, and even though they couldn't answer all of my questions, they did give me enough information to get the access point working.

The only way I could access the web based configuration for the DWL-2100ap access point was to hardwire to a LAN port on our DI-624 wireless router. I did the firmware upgrade, got all the settings in, and off I went.

It wound up that the signal from the DI-624 router wasn't strong enough to use the DWL-2100ap access point as a repeater in the shop. (the router is in our living room and the finish shop is about 20 yards out our back door) so I had to hook it back up to the router and change the settings to make it an Access Point that is hardwired on the back wall of the finish shop. It seems to work OK. I can get wireless access in both the finish shop and the blacksmith shop now. The only problem I still have to figure out is that it should be running at 108Mbps, but it's only going at 54Mbps. Guess I'll play with that as time allows.

Seems like any time I mess with this stuff, it always turns into some kind of adventure!

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

Tags
forging