MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Network : Support & Services > Feature & Member Support

Feature & Member Support Questions about how to use the features on the Knife Network web site? Problems logging in? Post them in here.

Old 01-12-2005, 09:12 AM
Steel Addict

how to back-up web site files...?

Most of my web site work has been done online...and I really don't have an up-to-date back-up of my web site files. I use MS Frontpage and can't figure out how to download the entire web site onto my hard drive. I can do one file at a time....but that's too much work. I'm sure there is an easy way....

any help?

Sincere thanks,
Rob

Old 01-12-2005, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator

There are a couple of ways, but probably the simplest is to open an Explorer window to the folder on your PC, then drag-and-drop the files from the list on the left side of the FrontPage screen.

Old 01-12-2005, 11:13 AM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
Download SmartFTP (http://www.smartftp.com). You start up SmartFTP and click on the icon that looks like a folder with a magnifying glass. This will open your local browser, where you can browse your local hard drive. Navigate to where you want to store your backup. Then, connect to your webserver by typing in the site name (beaumontmetalworks.com) preceeded by "ftp.", your username, and password, and press ENTER. The connection to your website should be established. Most webservers will have a HTML or WWW directory. Drag and drop that into the local folder that you opened earlier.

It's much more simple than it sounds, honest!

If you need help, send me an email and I'll give you a call to walk you through it.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 01-12-2005, 12:40 PM
Skilled

Be careful when using an FTP program with MS Frontpage. If you use Microsoft Frontpage to upload your website then later use some type of FTP program, then it will sometimes corrupt the Frontpage extensions on your server and they will have to be reinstalled.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:25 PM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
Good to know. I didn't, since I don't use Frontpage. Thanks for the info.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 01-12-2005, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, Frontpage has its quirks. It's fairly simple and uses a lot of the same functions that other MS Office programs use, but not everything works like you would think it should.

Old 01-13-2005, 02:24 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks for the help! didn't get it working yet....

Jamey...I got the FTP software...but then deleted it after reading the following post.

I can't drag and drop from MS front page. From the folder list on the left pane , I can select everything...right click for "copy"...then in PC folder I can only paste a shortcut.....not the files.

In MS Frontpage, if I go to file-open....I get a a file list from the server...here I can right click-copy and paste to the PC...but only one file or one folder at a time...way too much work.

I would like to select them all...the transfer while I walk away. Anyideas...?

Thanks Rob

Old 01-13-2005, 02:31 PM

Let me check later tonight. I think SmartFTP may have a "Frontpage-safe" setting. I'll see what I can come up with. Hang tight.

Old 01-13-2005, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator

Hmmmm, what version of FrontPage do you have?

I ask because I found out that the 2002 "Deluxe" copy that I had was really a beta release. (This at 3 a.m. talking to some MS rep in Sri Lanka while trying to re-install the software after virus problems. The software was legit, it was just packaged and sold without everything working. There are plenty of forums outside of TKN for discussing - and cussing - Microsoft.)

FrontPage expects you to use the Export function to send files to your PC. Check HELP for info on that.

You still should be able to drag and drop the files directly.

Another option: talk to your web provider. They may be able to let you send the files directly (usually via FTP) without messing with FrontPage.

Tags
easy, files, software