MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Network : Support & Services > Feature & Member Support

Feature & Member Support Questions about how to use the features on the Knife Network web site? Problems logging in? Post them in here.

Old 12-06-2004, 08:30 PM

need info

Would some one please check my web site and see if you can bring up the pages listed there. I have been told that I have bad links to them.
Thanks,
Doug
tor2ga @juno.com www.mysmithy.com

Old 12-06-2004, 09:10 PM
Skilled

nothing wrong with the links.main page shows up too large though.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:24 PM

Shakudo,
Thanks for checking.
What do I do to make the page smaller? This is yet another problem.
Doug

Old 12-06-2004, 09:57 PM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
The links don't work at all in Mozilla. I looked at the source, and it looks like it may be the Microsoft code that the page uses. Perchance, did you create the page in Frontpage? If so, it's going to really need work to work properly in Mozilla.

I know, Mozilla only has about 10% of the market, but it is growing in popularity.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 12-06-2004, 10:55 PM
Steel Addict

It doesn't show up right here either. I'm running opera. It only reports 3 links in the page.

Jamie

jamie@polarbearforge.com
Old 12-07-2004, 12:56 AM
Founding Member *Sys_Admin*

There's a bunch of Microsoft proprietary crap in there that is not going to work with non Internet Explorer browsers. This will not work with Netscape, Mozilla Suite, FireFox, K-Meleon, Opera, and a host of other browers that run on Macs and Unix machines.

If you look at the actual code, you will see that a high percentage of it is not even HTML.

The HTML document type is not valid so browsers have to guess what they are dealing with.

If you look in the <head> section of the code you will see a line that says:
< link rel="File-List" href="index_files/filelist.xml" >
If you look inside that filelist.xml file which will be located at:
http://www.mysmithy.com/index_files/filelist.xml
... you will see a list of .gif (image files).

Without going into a bunch of technical junk that makes my head swim, here's what is happening when a non IE browser loads your homepage. Instead of displaying the links on your page as useable links, these non IE browsers are keying in on some of the image files listed in the http://www.mysmithy.com/index_files/filelist.xml.

To prove my point, the specific file that is being displayed on these on IE browsers is image004.gif, which is located at http://www.mysmithy.com/index_files/image004.gif on your site. Here's what the non IE broswers display:

The reason these don't work is because these are not links. This is just an image (a picture).

######

I realize that none of this is helping you. And I don't know an easy way to tell you to fix it. This is the second site I've seen in the last week that has been butchered by a Microsoft product. The other was one that a fellow created in Microsoft Publisher and exported as a web page. It was using the same gobbledy-goop that is in your code. The poor fellow's home page could have been done in 5 KB of clean pure HTML with another 20 KB of images. But when I looked at his code, the homepage was an unbelievable 653 KB with over 17,000 lines of code.

Now, I don't use Frontpage, and I don't know if that's really what you are using even though that's what shows in the Generator Meta Tag. But whatever you are using it is generating an excessive amount of proprietary garbage that is only going to work with Internet Explorer, and may only work with Internet Explorere 6 -- I don't know.

So I'd say that you either need to see if your software package has the ability to save pure HTML, or HTML with CSS, or find another editor. It won't be a big deal if you know some HTML. If you don't know any HTML, then we'll have to think about it for a while.

Click the banner above to visit my website

Last edited by Terry Primos; 12-07-2004 at 12:02 PM.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:17 AM

By-the-way, the reason everything is too large for so many folks is because your banner that says "mysmithy.com" is 782 pixels wide. Even people who are using a screen resolution of 800x600 pixels won't be able to see the whole thing because in the code it has absolute positioning starting 129 pixels from the left border.

So if you take the 782 pixels which is the actual width, and add the 129 pixel margin defined in the code, it means that your "mysmithy.com" logo is taking up 911 pixels of screen width.

Old 12-07-2004, 05:47 AM

Terry, that's just amazing how savvy you are on this stuff. I only know 10% of what you refer, but it's still compelling.

Sometimes we stay up late simply to answer stuff because there is a gratification about sharing knowledge that we have a 'handle' on. Good grip.

I'm interested to hear the responses.

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 12-07-2004, 08:04 AM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
If you know nothing about HTML and have no desire to learn (it's really not that difficult), you may want to go to http://www.mozilla.org/products/mozilla1.x/ and download the Mozilla suite. It's open-source and free, and what's more, it will do a better job of creating standards-compliant code that can be read by the majority of browsers available. It has a pretty good WYSIWYG editor for HTML.

If you wish to learn a little about HTML, my favorite tutorial is located at http://www.davesite.com/webstation/html/. There's also some good tutorials on CSS, website design, javascript and other webby stuff at the homepage (http://www.davesite.com).

Your site is one of the reasons I have a strong dislike for Microsoft. I would love to look at your site, but I can't, since I pretty much refuse to use IE due to ongoing security issues. Microsoft provided a tool (FrontPage) ostensibly to "help" you create your web presence (which in the field of knifemaking is quickly becoming a necessity instead of a nicety), and what it has actually done is created a "site" that can only be navigated with IE, is poorly coded, and is multiples larger than it has to be.

I'd be willing to bet that it takes much, much longer to load on a dial-up connection than it should, as well.

I'm willing to give you whatever assistance I can, so ask away. I really hate to see things like that happen to folks who just want to have a website.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 12-07-2004, 11:29 AM

Jamey, Terry, others.
I did use Front page to create my web site.
I didn't know it was not working until I was told by Bob Warner, thanks Bob. I don't want much from it. All I want to do is share a little info that others might enjoy.
I have used Mozilla as a browser, but I had trouble with Mozilla in that I could not see other sites...and now I know why.
I went back to IE and have installed all of the full Norton line of privacy soft ware and have not had a problem with even 1 pop up since.

Now, I want to say up front that I am NOT very knowledgeable about the computer, HTML, etc.
I was very pleased with my self to have learned the basics of Front Page enough to publish my own site. Now I find out that it is all CRAP.

Can you please advise me on what web site creating program I could purchase?
It has to be one that someone like me could learn and do my self as I don't have the desire to put money into having someone else create and keep up a web presence for me. I am doing this as a hobby.
I have other interests at this time like making rings out of Damascus, Ti and Mokume Gane. I am also still a knife maker. I want to thank each of you for your suggestions, but I might be in over my head on this thing.
I hope you will all understand if I don?t want to learn HTML at this time.

Bottom line,
Should I not use IE anymore, although lt is working for me personally?

It is NOT acceptable to me that Front Page is such a buch of crap.
What should I use instead? I want very much to have a web site for the enjoyment of family and friends.

I can not express how much I appreciate all of your concern and councel on this matter.

Thank you all,
Doug

Tor2ga@juno.com www.mysmithy.com = bunch of CRAPOLA!

Old 12-07-2004, 11:46 AM

Never fear. I think that Terry may have said the first thing you should try. See if you can save in FrontPage as pure HTML. (How to do that, I dunno. Maybe a Google search would help.)

Next thing is, if you don't want to use Frontpage as your editor, give the Mozilla editor a spin. It works pretty well, and outputs compliant code.

As for using IE, that's a personal decision. I keep it around because there are just some sites that I have to use for work that absolutely do not work in Mozilla, thanks to the coders using Microsoft's version of javascript. Whether you wish to use it for your day-to-day browsing is up to you. I don't want to use it that way.

There's nothing wrong with not wanting to learn HTML. I don't particularly want to learn advanced calculus. To each his own.

My last suggestion is this: Even if you don't want to use Mozilla for your day-to-day browsing, if you're going to publish web sites, it's a good idea to keep multiple browsers handy just to test the site with. That way you can check your site with browsers that others may be using to see if it will work.

Anything else I can do, just let me know.

Old 12-07-2004, 01:14 PM

No, you don't need to stop using Internet Explorer. It's not the problem. It's the code generated by Frontpage. Also, regarding the security issues of Internet Explorer, if you are using Windows XP (SP2 not SP1) then many of the security holes are plugged.

Your first line of attack will be to see if Frontpage has an option to save the pages for your site in pure HTML or HTML with CSS. I wish I could tell you how to find it, but I don't use Frontpage.

You can use the Mozilla Suite that Jamey mentioned, but it is an entire suite which means that it is a web browser, and email program, and an HTML editor. Another choice is Nvu located at http://www.nvu.com/. It is a WYSIWYG (What you see is what you get) HTML editor which means that it is similar to using a word processor. As a matter of fact, Frontpage is a WYSIWYG editor, so it would be similar to using that.

The upside to Nvu is that it is free. The downside is that there is no documentation. Nvu is an open source project. That means that it is not produced by a big company, but rather by a group of programmers around the world who work on it together for the fun of it.

Old 12-07-2004, 08:04 PM

Terry,
Thanks for the info. I will see if I can figure the front page thing out as regarding html.
These ideas have been very helpful.
Thanks again,
Doug

Old 12-08-2004, 11:50 PM

Hi,
I might have improved my site.
I did get all my pages to have the HTML on the end.
I made the MYSMITHY.COM on the home page smaller.
Could I have someone check it out now?
Thanks,
Doug
Tor2ga@juno.com www.mysmithy.com

Old 12-08-2004, 11:54 PM
Skilled

not sure what you did,but i go to COOP's site when i click on your website link

Tags
knife