MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Network : Support & Services > Feature & Member Support

Feature & Member Support Questions about how to use the features on the Knife Network web site? Problems logging in? Post them in here.

Old 11-25-2004, 03:01 PM

.ZIP file download from my website

Guys,

How can I add a .zip file into my website to be retrieved? I already uploaded it, but simply typing in the URL doesn't give me the 'Would you like to open this or save it?' dialog box that I am used to seeing for this type of stuff.

Thanks,

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 11-27-2004, 06:41 PM
Founding Member *Sys_Admin*

You have an Atlanta Virtual Account don't you? If so, you could go to your AV control panel and setup an Anonymous FTP (File Transfer Protocol) account to allow downloads from your site.

What's the URL Coop? Folks should be able to down load the file by right-clicking on it also.

Click the banner above to visit my website
Old 11-27-2004, 08:34 PM

Hi Terry,

Yup, I went into the control panel and saw the button to allow for that. Then what....?

I did a Google search on this and a couple of sites pointed to the FTP thing. I'll have to play. I'll check back in if I need to.

Thanks!

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 11-27-2004, 09:52 PM
Founding Member *Sys_Admin*

The .ZIP file should transfer just fine as an HTML transfer -- that is, the way you're trying to do it anyway.

However, once in a while some browsers don't handle it as expected. In those cases the person can right-click in Internet Explorer and select "Save Target As...". If they were using one of the Gecko based browser like Netscape, Mozilla suite, or Mozilla Firefox, then the option from the right-click menu would be "Save Link As...".

As for the FTP thing, it's just a standard protocol for transferring files. The "Anonymous FTP" thing would just set up a directory on your AV account that would allow access to other people (to that one directory only). You would put your file in that directory and anyone could access it because it would be marked as a public directory".

To be honest, you don't need the Anonymous FTP. The standard HTML transfer is supposed to work and does not require any special setup.

Click the banner above to visit my website
Old 11-27-2004, 10:05 PM

Thanks once again. I dunno why, but I must have typed in the wrong URL inititially. Tonight the same URL leads me to be able to download my file. It works as you say.

I had a file that a buddy's email server rejected because it was a .zip file. I wanted to get it to him another way. Here we go!

Thanks,

Coop

Old 11-28-2004, 02:05 PM
Administrator

Jim,

Terry's right. All you need to do to download the file is to click the link. It'll transfer like any other file format.

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC