MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Network : Support & Services > Feature & Member Support

Feature & Member Support Questions about how to use the features on the Knife Network web site? Problems logging in? Post them in here.

Old 11-12-2004, 10:53 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Error message..... Incorrect function is driving me nuts! Help!

A couple of days ago I tried to download some photo from my digital camera (USB), and when I tired to open up the drive (listed as "H" drive on my machine) I get an error message that says "Incorrect Function". As I pondered this I tried opening up my CD rom drive and got the same message! After going through everything and trying access, I found that my "A" drive (floppy), "F" drive (zip drive), and both my CD Rom ("E" drive), and my CD burner ("D" drive) all display the same message. I did find a virus upon running norton, and repaired it, but still nothing mentioned above works........My suspicion is that it corrupted some Win XP file, but since the CD roms don't work, I have no way of reloading Win XP. Any thoughts???

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 11-12-2004, 11:05 PM
Skilled

somewhere in that jungle of XP is a system restore option. you just need to find it and restore the settings back to about a week ago. the virus probably corrupted a registry entry and the restore should fix it. i would help you,but i'm still running 98 and have no clue to where system restore is on XP.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:50 PM
Skilled

link if you already didn't find it.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...temrestore.asp
Old 11-13-2004, 06:44 AM

Restore probably will fix it. However, sometimes in the case of virus problems, the easiest is to note the virus name and visit symantec or macaffee and see if they have a virus fix / removal tool. Usually, this will not only remove the virus but repair the registry.

Bill
Old 11-13-2004, 10:46 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Well, I tired "system restore", but that did not work, so today I had a brainstorm. I brought my laptop in from the shop, and hooked it into our home network and reloaded Windows XP from it's CD rom drive............Problem solved. From what I could figure, a windows xp componet was corrupted by a virus, and it had to be replaced before I could get all the devices working. I've not yet decided if I'm going to reload Service pack 2 for XP.......I had it on the machine before, but it seems that I already have all the protection through other means that it provides. Thanks for the suggestions and the help!

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."