MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Network : Support & Services > Feature & Member Support

Feature & Member Support Questions about how to use the features on the Knife Network web site? Problems logging in? Post them in here.

Old 11-09-2004, 08:21 PM
Living Legend

MS Explorer help please.

For some reason I have started getting a message stating that an error occured and Explorer must close. I am asked if I want to send a report.

This happens EVERY time I go to monster.com and on a few other sites as well, it DOES NOT happen when I come to this forum or a few other common places I visit.

Does anyone know what does this and how I can correct it? I NEED to be able to get on Monster.com

Thanks.

Tumbling down the road at 35 MPH is no fun, TRUST ME!
Old 11-09-2004, 08:39 PM
Skilled

you need to read what the error is and someone may be able to help. or click report error and you may get a link to a fix from microsoft.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

Bob - when using IE or any other MS software be sure and keep it updated.

MS software is the 600 lb Gorilla of software and those that have decided its the "anti-christ " will create those "problems tha can and will try to bring itt o it's knees.

No matter what there are those "gurus" that tell that you should defrag your hard drive at LEAST once a week and make sure that your anti-virus program is up to date.

On the other hand there are those "gurus" who will tell you that ANY operating system software should be COMPLETELY redone every six months.

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 11-10-2004, 12:00 AM
Super Moderator

Any time you start getting failures like that, look for virus problems. I'm sure you're running virus protection, but so was I when my machine was crashed by 4 of them. I suggest you try the free scan at: http://housecall.trendmicro.com/hous...start_corp.asp

That's the one the computer techies used on my machine.

There are all sorts of different graphics scripts used these days - especially to force pop-ups and other irritating things to happen. That's probably what's causing the crashes.

Microsoft's attempt to be upwardly and downwardly compatible makes their software way too complex. As they fix things, it gets full of patches. If one patch is loaded wrong, it could make the software fail and could be impossible to find. Not what you want to hear, but probably true.

Old 11-10-2004, 12:48 AM
Enthusiast

I like Spybot Search & Destroy for free spyware protection / removal.

You can get it here: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html

It is free, not shareware, and the free version is full featured. Of course they do accept donations should you feel so inclined.

I have also used Ad-Aware before and liked it, but I haven't used it recently. It is available here: http://www.lavasoftusa.com/ It looks like 'Ad-Aware Personal' is free for non-commercial use.

Best of luck!

Measure twice, cut once.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:08 AM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
It's a pretty good idea to run both Spybot and AdAware. That's what I do, and they do find different things.

As a matter of fact, it's time to run those things right now...

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist