MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Network : Support & Services > Feature & Member Support

Feature & Member Support Questions about how to use the features on the Knife Network web site? Problems logging in? Post them in here.

Old 08-13-2004, 08:04 PM

What's Going On????

Is it just me, or has everyone else noticed that something very screwy is going on?

Starting late this afternoon, on both my PC at work and my Mac at home, the various forums have been "jumping" their usual positions,...they're moving sporadically all over the place...with no apparent rhyme or reason.

Is this planned? Is it some new experiment to make sure everyone gets exposed to all the different forums?

Please explain...before my brain gets too dizzy...:confused:

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!

Old 08-14-2004, 12:45 AM
Super Moderator

You haven't been indulging in Tai's Special Cactus Brownies, have you?

Old 08-14-2004, 02:27 AM
Steel Addict

Send a message via AIM to metalking00
haha, no just his cactus smoothies, pure unadulterated psychadelia.........mmmmmmmmmmm
Old 08-14-2004, 11:39 AM
Michael E. Mill

what's going on

DENNIS YOU ARE NOT THE ONLY ONE !!!!!!!!!!!! MINE HAS DONE THE SAME THING- FORUMS ARE REARRANGED BUT THEY HAVE STAYED IN THAT POSITION SINCE YESTERDAY AFTERNOON. I THOUGHT IT WAS BECAUSE SOME OF THE SUB-FORUMS HAD CAME UP ON THE OTHER AREA BUT THEY ARE STILL THE SAME WAY TODAY. GETS YOU OUT OF THE NORMAL ROUTINE Mike
Old 08-14-2004, 11:39 AM
Founding Member *Sys_Admin*

Dennis,
I "think" I know what you're talking about.

It looks like there's some restructuring being done. I can see that Alex has removed some of the sub-forum groupings and completely redone the index.

I'm really liking the new index with a link to every forum on KNet listed on the page. Now we can see from the index which forums have new posts. To me, this is a lot better than having only the six major forum groupings in the index.

Click the banner above to visit my website
Old 08-14-2004, 12:05 PM
Hall of Famer

I wish there was a "Back" button on the toolbar. Or is that just because I'm trying to learn how to use a Mac for the first time?

I have to start over every time I view a thread.
Old 08-14-2004, 04:29 PM
Administrator

Hi Guys, we're working on the board order, that's what you're seeing.

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 08-14-2004, 10:29 PM

Whew, glad it wasn't just me...
The groupings were not only different, they just didn't make sense.
With all the different subject headings these days, you've really got your hands full Alex.
I too like the new index...very easy to follow. At least I think so.

There are still an awful lot of guys out there very uncomfortable with the new format...too many pages, or so they all tell me. They liked the simplicity of the old, one page format. Many guys have contacted me, asking for help...some don't even know how to find the forums. A certain extremely intelligent person I know (who shall remain nameless), was away for awhile, and when he came back he couldn't find the new KNet connection (typing CKDF is a dead end)...and wound up over at the Blade Forums for days wondering why nothing looked familiar!!! Really a shame the CKDForums will no longer take you over here. If I'm hearing about this problem from a number of guys, that means there are a lot more out there we don't hear from...

Don-
Macs are real easy...If you ever used Windows XP you'll find that it's very similar to the Mac operating system.
I'm on a Mac right now, but I use a PC at work. Equally at home with both...Both have their pros and cons...Big one against Mac, to many apps these days are not compatible or written for the 7% of the population using Apple. The good news if you're a Mac user, because you're only 7% of the population, very few want to go to the bother of hassling you with virus, worms, or spam.

You should be able to see two big, blue arrows at the top of your screen (much larger than those typically found on PCs). Those are your forward and back buttons (If you don't see them, go to the top of your screen and click "View" and then click on the "Button Bar"...The arrows should appear along with other "Buttons"...try the other options as well while you're there). To really make it easy on yourself, when you go to click on a new screen, response, forum, etc, hold your button down and scroll to "Open Link in New Window"...This will open the new the new window and the previous window will still be open underneath. When you're done with that window, press the command button (with the Apple icon) with your thumb, and while holding that down use your forfinger or middle finger and press the letter "w". This will close the window you were in and immediately bring you back to the previous window. This "Command + W" is known as a "short cut"...much quicker than having to scroll up to the little box in the left hand corner to have to close the window. Once you start using a couple of the short cuts, they'll become 2nd nature.

Hope I was clear with that...

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!

PS. We've been a two Mac family for years...That's about to change. My daughter (Piper) is getting an HP desktop. That way we'll have the best of both worlds!

Last edited by Osprey Guy; 08-14-2004 at 11:23 PM.
Old 08-15-2004, 02:36 AM
Administrator

Let me know if you guys are having problems with the format or the urls.

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 08-15-2004, 02:51 AM

My bad...
I talked about the link problem without ever checking back again to see if the problem was still there. I had heard from several different guys a few weeks back, found the same problem myself, and then never tried again. It seems to be linking just fine now.
I just assumed that's the way it was going to be.
When am I ever going to learn not to ever assume anything?!?

I do however still hear from guys who long for the old forum. I've also heard a couple of guys comment about how much of this site take so long to load. I definitely have experienced that myself more often than not. One close friend who used to be a regular says he just can't deal with the long uploading...and rarely comes here now on account of that (each time he comes here now I wind up hearing about it later on).

I've just accepted that it's something that you'll eventually get worked out in time.

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!

Last edited by Osprey Guy; 08-15-2004 at 02:55 AM.

Tags
blade, knife