MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Network : Support & Services > Feature & Member Support

Feature & Member Support Questions about how to use the features on the Knife Network web site? Problems logging in? Post them in here.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:16 PM
Skilled

Recommendations For A Good Video Camera To Upload Videos

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good video camera to take videos in the shop with and then upload them to the internet. I have found this website that has downloadable software so you don't have to use YouTube or Google to host your videos so you can use your own website to host your own videos without the add on advertisments of the sites mentioned above.

Here is a link to one of the sites I found:
http://www.easywebvideo.com/

There are others but this one caught my eye for the ease of use it offers.

There are quite a few cameras at WalMart but I don't know which one to choose. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-18-2008, 08:41 PM
Skilled

Old 04-07-2010, 06:29 PM
Living Legend

I use a JVC Everio HDD and it has worked great. The 40x zoom is better then the equivalent Sony camcorder. It's very easy to use but has one draw back. It uses .MOD files that must be converted before you can upload them to the internet or your PC. The software included will do it but I bought a better conversion package to use.

The Everio fits in my T-shirt pockets and also will function as a still cam. It uses a mini hard drive and SD cards so it's infinitely upgradable memory wise. Soon the SD cards will exceed the HDD capacity which would give you over 60 gb capacity. The 30 gb HDD gives me seven hours of hi res recording time.

I bought it at Overstock.com for around $325. I am sure that they don't even sell the models that use the .MOD files anymore because they got a lot of grief over it.

Thanks for the hosting link. Youtube has become very annoying to use lately.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:40 AM
RIP 11-09-2011

Most any digital cam would work, I use the mini DV's for ease.
I use both Sony and JVC, both excellent tools.
I make these videos if you need help, call me.
Geno
CCIV
(817) 451 8243
Old 04-08-2010, 11:02 AM
Living Legend

And if you are going to do even the most basic video editing you need a very new PC with lots of RAM and a decent processor. I was using a 5 year old PC when I got into video editing and uploading and it took forever or froze up. After waiting 30-45 mins to transfer the video files into the editing program everything would freeze up and I had to re-boot. Then start all over again. Needless to say I did not do very much video work on my PC.

Then I got a new HP PC last summer and it all got much faster and far more dependable.

So the camcorder selection is only half the story. You can't have an old PC and do much video work.

Last edited by B.Finnigan; 04-08-2010 at 06:17 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:35 AM
RIP 11-09-2011

LOL
I wasn't going to discourage anyone here on this thread but getting the footage IS the easy part. Editing, graphics, menues, etc...all can require special software, hardware, etc...
This is why I simply put my contact info, that I might answer questions of intrested parties.
More and more makers are wanting videos made, and wind up calling me when they start to investigate it more.
Had I known 15 years ago how hard it was, I might be selling knife supplies right now.
I hadn't even got to the costs yet...and there are more once you get a master copy done.
If you want to stream it, there are more obsticles...
A phone call is cheap compared to......
I do try to answer all questions asked and help where I can.
God bless and hollar if you need help.
Geno

Tags
digital, files, knife, supplies