MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Network : Support & Services > Feature & Member Support

Feature & Member Support Questions about how to use the features on the Knife Network web site? Problems logging in? Post them in here.

Old 04-27-2007, 07:23 AM

Using the search function of TKN

I have attempted to utilize the search function and find, in my experience, the search functionality (not the KNIFE WEB SEARCH functionality in the upper right hand corner of the screen) to be quite limited or, perhaps, is it my lack of understanding how to use the seach function?

For example: I want to search for this type of information " how to store knife handle material" so I entered "store knife handle material" in the key word field thinking it is not as smart as Google but maybe it is just smart enough. After the search, it showed the keywords as "store, knife, handle, material".

That, to me, is a search for any thread/post containing 'any' of the key words vs 'all' the key words. So I repeated the search using "store+knife+handle+material" with the same results.

So, is the 'search' capability limited strictly to 'key words' only? If I missed something, please point me in the right direction.

Thanks...
Old 04-27-2007, 08:12 AM
Skilled

i think the function may be limited but if you like you can use google, by going to google and typing your normal request and then at the end add site:knifenetwork.com and it will only show results from this site.

brett

Australian knife maker extraordinaire
Old 04-27-2007, 08:17 AM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
Yeah, it does seem that the limitation is there. In your case, I'd follow Brett's suggestion.

For me, the search works fine. I guess it's because I've been here so long that when I'm searching for something, it's usually one of those "Where's that thread where a switchblade mechanism was described???", and I can quickly scan the thread titles returned and know which one I'm looking for.

I've been here almost long enough to qualify for the Senior Citizen's discount, and I'm only 30!

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 04-27-2007, 09:41 AM

Brett: thanks, I will try your suggestion. I learned something today!

Jamey: I usually do the same but this time the thread titles just did not do it for me.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:52 PM

Brett, is there a Google site with these search terms defined? Informative.

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 04-27-2007, 08:46 PM

Hey Coop,

Just go to Google, click Advanced Search, the Advanced Search page opens, enter your search criteria in the top four boxes (in the big blue area) AND then drop down to the non-blue or white section and enter any other criteria (such as English) and in the Domain field tab over to the right hand box and enter the domain url (such as www.knifenetworks.com), click Google Search button or press your Enter key.

It limits the search to the domain only. And it utilizes all the power and functionality of Google.

And, BTW, you do very, very nice photography work!

Randy
Old 04-27-2007, 09:52 PM
Super Moderator

If you use the Google Toolbar you can add the button for Search Site - type your terms in to the search box like normal but instead of hitting the Go button use the Search Site button.....

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.

Last edited by Chuck Burrows; 04-27-2007 at 09:55 PM.
Old 04-28-2007, 07:56 AM
Steel Addict

I've asked the same thing a couple of times, but I don't think I worded it as clearly - Thank you. And the "addsite:" thing is new to me which should help in the future.

Also with google, you can search using quotations to look for a complete & whole string such as "clay temper" (use the quotations in the search window) and google will look primarily for the phrase together, not just a site that has those two words. I believe as a secondary search it also shows you the less relevant sites where the words clay and temper are used seperately.

While we're on this it may be helpful to some to know that you can search for sites that do NOT include a certain word (also helpful in eBay). If the phrase "clay temper" brings up something else repeatably associated with another type of work or hobby then you can add a -blablah and google will filter out the sites with that word/phrase (blablah in this case).

This may be common knowledge but it also may be helpful to a few.

-AlanR

Tags
knife, switchblade