MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Network : Support & Services > Feature & Member Support

Feature & Member Support Questions about how to use the features on the Knife Network web site? Problems logging in? Post them in here.

Old 10-25-2006, 03:24 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to maddogfletcher
want to make my own web site!!!!!

I need to know how and who to talk to to get one started! I have no skills and not a whole lot of money.
Thanks
Jeff
MaddogMcCray'sKnives
Old 11-02-2006, 02:29 PM
Guru

Hey Jeff, I've heard nothing but good things about Atlanta Virtual as a webhost. They are pretty affordable and they have a website builder tool. I don't know how the builder is, but maybe some of the other guys on the forums can tell you. Several knife makers use them, I think Ed Caffrey is one.

Seeing your signature I'm guessing you belong to a local church, so I would start there if you want to get someone to build your site for you. If they have a church web page it was probably built by a member. I know some folks that give discounts or just free work to members of their church.

If you want to build the site yourself without the website tools, I suggest your search for tutorials on html and css stylesheets. Once you get the basics of html down you'll just need a tag reference. Spend some time learning CSS stylesheets and you can have a good looking web page without needing a lot of fancy bells and whistles. Those can come later if you want them and most of the work that you started with will still be useful.

Both of these look like solid tutorials for html and css:
http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_intro.asp
http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_intro.asp

I made my first webpage about 10 years ago in just html (not as much to work with back then anyways) with plenty of terrible bright colors, complicated patterns and blinking words. I learned a couple things from that experience, one is that simple is nearly always better and two is that you should have a design process ahead of time. I actually drew out my first site on notebook paper and thought through all of the interaction that I wanted it to have. You don't have to draw it on paper, but have a solid plan and consider the things that you want to do before you start. This will save you time and keep you on track.

The GIMP is a great free photo editor for linux and windows that will do nearly everything photoshop will, so I highly recomend it for your pictures. It might not be quite as incredible as photoshop but it's a great option for those who can't buy it. I use a plain-jane text editor for writing pages, something like notepad will work fine. Expensive software might save a little time up front, but is not necessary at all and will sometimes end up making things worse later on. I would at least get familiar with web authoring by hand before looking into tools to do it for you.

I have no great websites and I'm not a web designer, I'm just an average guy who's been around the internet for a long time. I don't pay for my webhosting, but if I had to, Atlanta Virtual is one of the first places I would consider. Everything else above is just my experience, individual results may vary.

See my knives @ knives.caphayes.com

This quote pains me:
-- "Strategically placed blood grooves control blood spray in covert deanimation activities." --

Tags
knife