MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Network : Support & Services > Feature & Member Support

Feature & Member Support Questions about how to use the features on the Knife Network web site? Problems logging in? Post them in here.

Old 09-09-2006, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
A computer problem....need advice

Hi All!

Well, I have an issue I need help with. Last night I put a new processor in my office computer and upon firing it up, I can get into the BOIS, but it locks up as soon as I get into the BIOS. I shut it off, and when I tried to fire it up again, I get a long beep........beep........beep with about 2-3 seconds between the beeps, with nothing showing on the monitor. Any ideas?

Here's the system:

MSI K8N Neo Platinum motherboard
2X512 DDR 400 Corsair ValueSelect memory
AMD Athlon 64 3400+ (Newcastle core)
2-SATA 160GB hard drives
PS/2 keyboard
USB mouse
Win XP Home

What I'm afraid might have happened is something with the 754 socket on the motherboar. I worked and workd to get the heatsink off the old processor and the processor came out stuck to the heatsink. I'm wondering if I didn't damage the socket on the motherboard? I couldn't find any broken/bent pins on the old processor, and the new one dropped right in when I put it in place...... Any help is appreciated.

I do have another motherboard I could install, but it's sure a time consuming, pain in the rump to redo everything and then try a "repair" install of the OS. I hope to avoid that if possible.

Thanks gang!

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 09-09-2006, 09:55 AM
Enthusiast

Have you set the speed right, ie. Front Side Bus (mhz) and multiplier?
Most systems has jumpers which has to be set according to cpu specs.

Beeps at bootup is a code telling you whats wrong. Its in sequence. ex. 3 - 1 - 1.
(if your want to search youself look for bios error codes on the net, otherwise sequence?)

Yours
Erik

Old 09-09-2006, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Thanks Erik!

I looked up the beep codes, and according to them it was a memory failure.... but after playing around with the computer this afternoon I think I discovered it was the new processor...DOA! I put my old processor back in and everything is working OK now. I have an AMD 64 3400+ Clawhammer in the machine right now. The processor I was attempting to install was the same except it was a newcastle core. That's the second processor that I've picked up off ebay that's been DOA. One of these days I might just learn my lesson!

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."