MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Network : Support & Services > Feature & Member Support

Feature & Member Support Questions about how to use the features on the Knife Network web site? Problems logging in? Post them in here.

Old 08-22-2006, 08:49 AM
Steel Addict

IE explorer only opens in small windows

When ever I open a new window of IE Explorer ...it opens in a very small size and I have to maximize it to see the contents.

How/where do I set it to automatically open full size. This tip will certainly help speed up my web surfing.

Thanks!

Rob

Old 08-22-2006, 11:04 AM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
You may have a corrupted registry entry. IE by default starts up in the same place and at the same size that it was last closed in. If that's not happening for you, go to Start>Run, type in regedit and press Enter.

Drill down through HKEY_CURRENT_USER->Software->Microsoft->Internet Explorer->Main. When you get to the Main folder, find the Window_Placement key and delete it.

Next, open the Desktop folder under HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Internet Explorer/ and then open the OldWorkAreas folder. Delete the OldWorkAreaRects key.

Reboot your computer and then start IE.

This advice comes to you based on what I found at http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/.../ietopten.mspx

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 08-22-2006, 11:27 AM
Skilled

before getting too involved. you want to manually size the browser , place cursor arrow on bottom corner ,hold down left mouse button and drag it larger. close IE and reopen,it should be at the size you just made.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:34 AM
Steel Addict

Hmmm....some success! I followed your note Jamey and now it opens bigger...but not full size.

Well....I think I need to clarify. If I open IE from the task bar, it opens full size. But while surfing with IE....if I right click a link then " open in new window"...the new window is smaller.

I tried to drag the new window bigger..then closed it...then re-opened it...but it is still smaller.

However, after making the reg changes, the new window is now bigger than it was. Before the reg edits...the new window was only about 1-1/2" sq on my screen. Now it is nearly 1/2 of my total screen size.

After thinking about it, I don't recall if it ever opened full size from a right click "open in new window" command...?

-Rob

Old 08-22-2006, 11:38 AM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
Might I suggest Firefox? I don't use IE anymore -- ever. http://www.mozilla.com

If you don't have any real reason for not using Firefox (and as a hardcore 'netter, I don't even have a reason to ever use IE anymore) I would suggest that you give it a try. Less succeptible to a bunch of the internet nasties floating around out there, and very configurable thanks to extensions (which are AWESOME).

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 08-22-2006, 03:32 PM
Steel Addict

If you are opening from a desktop shortcut icon or taskbar icon, try right clicking on the icon. Then click on properties at the bottom of the window that opens. Then in the "shortcuts" tab, look for the line that says "Run:" Select "maximized" and then click "okay".

Old 08-22-2006, 04:04 PM
Enthusiast

Drag the window to disered size, press Ctrl and close window.