MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Network : Support & Services > Feature & Member Support

Feature & Member Support Questions about how to use the features on the Knife Network web site? Problems logging in? Post them in here.

Old 03-25-2005, 08:34 AM
Skilled

Hey Terry,
I am in over my head here , but I did open the forum with IE and the thumbnails show up with no problem. I guess my problem is in Foxfire somewhere. :confused: jc

GEORGIA CUSTOM KNIFEMAKERS GUILD / CHARTER MEMBER
Old 03-25-2005, 01:25 PM
Founding Member *Sys_Admin*

Lane,
Glad I could help.

#################

John,
No, I doubt that it's Firefox. More than likely it's the firewall setting. I guess I was talking a little too "techie" earlier. Lane sounded like he knew his way around so I just cut to the chase.

It's actually pretty easy (and quick) to fix. I will show you the two methods I discussed using screenshots. You can choose the one that feels right for you. I've circled the key areas to look for in red to help you find your way around.

I don't know which firewall package you are using. Mine is EZ-Firewall by a huge company called Computer Associates, but it is almost certainly #######d code from the ZoneAlarm folks. If you are using ZoneAlarm, then it should look quite a bit like what I'm going to show you.

#################

Method 1 - Disable the Privacy Setting for the Browser
This sounds dangerous at first, but it is the method I have chosen for my own use. The reason being, Privacy (handling of cookies, banners, pop-up ads, etc.) is handled quite well by all three of the browsers that I use. The firewall setting is just another layer of protection, and since it's the first thing to grab pages I'm viewing, it overrides the settings in my browsers.

To disable the Privacy setting in the firewall and let the browsers control what you see do the following:

• Go to the Program Control section, then the Programs tab. Scroll down and find your browser in the program list. In this case I am selecting Firefox since that's the browser you are using.
  • Right-click on the Firefox entry. This pops up a little menu.
  • Select Options.

Under the Security tab, locate the Filter Options section and un-check the little box that is labeled "Enable Privacy for this program". Now your browser can handle all the cookies, banners, pop-ups, etc.

#################

Method 2 - Mouseover Ad Boxes
If the previous method makes you too nervous, then you can use this one. The firewall will maintain control over what your browser will see. It overrides settings in your browser.

This method still blocks what the firewall considers to be an ad, but it will display a little box on the browser page that say's [ AD ], where the ad would be. When want to see the image, just run the mouse cursor over the little [ AD ] box and the image will be displayed.

• In the Privacy section, on the Main tab, locate the area labeled Ad Blocking.
  • Click the Custom button.

• Under the Ad Blocking tab, locate the section labeled Ad Void Control
  • Select "A box that I can mouse over to get the ad to appear"

##################

That's it.

Click the banner above to visit my website
Old 03-28-2005, 06:06 AM
Skilled

Thanks Terry,
that had to take some time. I'll give it a try. Thanks again of your time . jc

GEORGIA CUSTOM KNIFEMAKERS GUILD / CHARTER MEMBER
Old 03-28-2005, 07:51 AM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
Great work, Terry. All this time, and the thought of firewall settings never entered my mind. I must be slipping!

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist

Tags
knife, knives