MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 04-27-2002, 11:56 AM
jony

uk

Chalk up another Brit (and knifekit virgin) here
Old 04-27-2002, 12:53 PM
Coop747

Re: UK guys....

Hey you guys! (Or is that 'blokes'?? )

It's really cool to converse with like-minded folks no matter where the heck you are from. Even more so when there's a little distance involved! (BTW--I row with a number of Brits in my rowing club, and an American from our club just put together a veteran's UK/USA 'D' boat (50+ age) that won it's class in the UK Head of the River!! We're all connected!)

But talkin' knives--Look back a few posts to my DDR-1 carbon knife for some tips cutting it. Once cut, it works easily, but it's tough to cut!

Welcome to ALL the new faces.

Coop
Old 04-28-2002, 01:00 PM
LdRothermere

CF

Coop.

Love that CF job you did. Very classy indeed. Possibly the job which got me from the 'tempted' to the 'determined' stage :+)

I was thinking of using a Dremel with diamond wheel as prescribed by OspreyGuy earlier in the forum. If I make a hash of that, I will start begging some friends for workshop time so I can get access to more appropriate tools.

James
Old 04-28-2002, 04:29 PM
Coop747

Re: CF

James,

Hey, thanks for your compliments. Yup, that one is a sweety!

PLEEEEAAASSE register and join us. You know you get a 50# note from EZBoard after you post over 100 posts. he he he!!!

Cheers!

Coop
Old 04-30-2002, 05:40 PM
LdRothermere

registration

Coop.

Whaddayamean register? I figured that a global ezboard account was enough? Am I more newbie than I though??

Where do I get my 50-00 (GBP please!) and can I have the equivalent in kits? (Or a small deposit on one of Mr. Ralph's creations).

j/k of course

Quick question, Coop. I was trawling through the folders forum and there's an excellent (long) tutorial on producing a lockback folder from scratch posted by an aussie maker. How long does it take someone to get to that standard and what sort of tools would one need before one even thought about starting a job like that? (I'm not intending to...I'm just curious).

I think I can handle a kit with a Dremel (thanks to yours and OspreyGuys v. informative posts). But it looks like to make a knife from go takes a workshop so big I'd need to be paying US real estate prices

James
Old 04-30-2002, 07:17 PM
Coop747

Re: registration

James,

You read Niel Charity's tutorial, I'm certain. And you're asking ME?? I'm flattered!

I'm just like you wondering the same thing. I have never done anything outside of a kit to date. I have just picked up a book ' How to make Knives' by Robt Loveless and Richard Barney. There is some real good info in there, as well as good pics. It's a little dated, having been written in the seventies, but I'm certain 95% of it still applies. It's more towards fixed blades, though.

Also I have just rec'd Gene Osborne's video of making a hunter, step by step. I haven't plugged that in yet. I find myself watching THIS screen too much. Ooops!

Good luck in your own quests!

Coop (BTW--the EZBoard payment is only in Euro's. Sorry to you!!!! )
Old 05-01-2002, 02:33 PM
LdRothermere

Euros

Euros?? ####! And on a Euro target holiday as well (I'm a banker....I have to know these geeky things). First we loose our steel industry to it, now I'm going to have to take gratuities in those strange, rather ugly, notes.

I ordered that book last weekend from Knifecenter.com along with a nice spydie nav and a chive. Can't wait to get my mits on it.

Can't wait until my exams are over at the end of this month too, so I can spend my weekends grinding CF and steel instead of sitting with my head in a journal

Thanks for all the advice.

James

Tags
balisong, blade, butterfly knife, knife, knives