MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 04-06-2007, 02:19 PM
Guru

kickin the DDR3 up a few notches.

OK

A firefighter/paramedic I know ask me to make him an auto so we went with the ddr3. He wanted a tight twist damascus so I said no problem. We also picked out some logo's to put in the scales to.

Current project is here. I have the blade back (came in today) and the logo's came in as well. Figured I would post them here first to get some feedback

these are the logo's for the scales

I have not yet decided what type of file work (if any) to do or what type of handle material. The safety will be stainless, that I do know.

Ed

But steel - cold steel is master of them all.
Rudyard Kipling (1865 - 1936)
Old 04-06-2007, 03:23 PM
Skilled

Looks pretty sweet. Just some suggestions but you could go with some red micarta or even the blaze orange macarta. Or mabe some bloodwood.

"Live so that your friends can defend you but never have to" - Arnold H. Glascow
Old 04-06-2007, 08:37 PM

Looking very cool... From the looks of this and the previous DDR2 blade that he did for you, the guy you're getting these from does nice work!! (I liked the arrowheads that you posted in the Display Case as well).

Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out!!

Dennis Greenbaum

Old 04-06-2007, 11:46 PM
Guru

yes he is awsome and does outstanding work. He also cut my patriot bowie.

This is the 2 ddr3 blades compared with the original.

worth noting the few differences in the right plunge lines. The difference is outstanding and a well needed change for the ddr3. With this forward it allows more of a natural look.

Ed

Old 04-07-2007, 01:14 AM

I might have mentioned this when you posted the DDR2 damascus blade.... I don't know who's etching the damascus, you or the guy who makes the blades. But if prior to etching, you were to simply mask off the area around the pivot (I use nail polish), the detent ball will be able to move more easily if it doesn't have to travel against the etched steel.

Dennis

Old 04-07-2007, 02:51 AM

I like the change in the plunge line a LOT!. The other thing I would have had different from the stock blade is to not put a hole where the thumbstud goes. Kinda redundant to have a thumbstud on a button activated automatic knife..
Old 04-07-2007, 07:25 AM
Guru

Xer0, very good point, perhaps I can put something there other than a thumb stud, perhaps a low profile gem holder?

Dennis, yes sir you did mention that before and I do agree with you, I forgot to mention that to him. I am not sure what setup he uses for etching either but on the ddr2 I noticed after a very short break in period that roughness is not there. Wait and see the nightop's blade he made as well

I do have to make some adjustments for the stop and closed position but that's it. There was some concern at first about the auto hole next to the pivot but that turned out to be no problem at all.

Ed

Old 04-07-2007, 07:35 AM
Master

Ed-
That looks great! You have to share with us the source of you blades - or is that your little secret? I'd love to have a damascus ddr3, unfortunately I don't have the equipment to do that kiind of folder yet.
-Dave

"The choice isn't between success and failure; it's between choosing risk and striving for greatness, or risking nothing and being certain of mediocrity." - Keith Ferrazi
Old 04-07-2007, 07:45 AM
Guru

Dave,

No sir that is not my secret, people who do work this good needs to get their name out there!

Grand Leavitt of Snake River Knives in Idaho. On ebay his store is http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZsna...rknivesQQhtZ-1

Also take a look at Two finger knives.
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZswordman39QQhtZ-1

Both are superb but I and a majority of the people who have seen the work prefers the tight twist and firestorm damascus from snake river.

I sent Grand the top ddr3 blade and had him cut me 2. He can cut custom shapes and custom hardness as well.

Ed

Old 04-07-2007, 08:38 AM
Master

Thanks Ed! They definately do some beautifl work.
-Dave

"The choice isn't between success and failure; it's between choosing risk and striving for greatness, or risking nothing and being certain of mediocrity." - Keith Ferrazi
Old 04-07-2007, 10:37 AM
Guru

worth noting the ddr3 and Tim Britton's night-ops have a similar blade shape, HUGE difference in the overall package tho.

On another note I am not 100% sure how I am going to ancor the emblems into the scales. There's not much room to work with thickness wise and both pins are 3/4" round. From all the testing so far a red scale material brings out all the good details so I am leaning towards a red material of some form, myall and crabapple looked superb on it with the crab apple in first place by a long shot. I will look at some type of maroon micarta.

Ed

Old 04-08-2007, 07:51 PM
Enthusiast

Nice way to talk me into a DDR3 for the next kit... DAMASCUS! I haven't *splurged* for one of these yet, but this about puts me over the edge.

Really like the tight twist patterning. I sure appreciate you sharing the sources!

Guess I should do a DDR3 kit first, and find out the "secrets" of this kit, then possibly splurge if it works out.

Glad you asked about the emblem mounting too... I am sure that it would be applicable to using the mosaic pins in any kit. Got a buddy who really deserves a nice knife, and would like to do a *nice* one for him.

Great Thread!

Always a treat to hang out here...
Old 04-09-2007, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNet
worth noting the ddr3 and Tim Britton's night-ops have a similar blade shape, HUGE difference in the overall package tho.

Ed

Ed and All,

Tim has taken a Bob T. handle, and my blade, to make a knife that he says he designed.
I do not take kindly to this at all. Tim has been copying knifekits.com since he opened the doors at Linville.

Tim also lied to "Blade" about these knives. Here is the truth about his antics and the way he does business. Read it for yourself
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...ht=tim+britton
Old 04-09-2007, 05:14 PM
Guru

SHAME SHAME SHAME.

I was hesitating to even post them together and when I sent the blade in to get the damascus cut he told me it was nearly identical. From that I bought one and compared the two.

As for the flame war on the Ti that's quite interesting, sounds like some allow and not pure Ti.

Even tho I did have a damascus blade custom cut for me it is still a DDR3 kit and NOT my design. Only credit I can take is putting it together and the overall layout of the final product.

Ed

Old 04-09-2007, 09:35 PM
Administrator

Wow, those look nice!

Keep us posted on how they perform!!

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC

Tags
blade, knife, knives, switchblade