MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 08-14-2003, 10:32 AM
Skilled

Send a message via AIM to justice
waiting for my ev-4n1

im waiting for my kit to get here. and i wanted to know about attaching scales to liners. do i use epoxy and a clamp or do the screws secure them alone?

thanks....justin
Old 08-14-2003, 01:25 PM

Justin,

The screws do a fine job of holding them tightly. There may come a time that the knife needs disassembly for adjustment/cleaning/tuning or whatnot, and this leaves that door open.

Keep us posted!

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 08-14-2003, 08:31 PM

I've gone both ways on this...really depends on the situation.

Where I had solid scales (no additional embellishments like spacers, n/s filework, that sort of thing), I've got my liners sitting underneath just held in place with the screws. An example would be my carved MOP GX6...Mother of Pearl scales with blue pearlized plastic liners underneath...no glue, just screws holding both pieces (the scale and the liner) in place.

On the other hand, if there are two or more components making up the scales, then I prefer to have a much more solid grip on everything by gluing the components to each other and then in turn to a thin shim or liner. An example of this would be my Giraffe/Ebony GX6, where I have a total of 7 components on each side...a total of 14 pieces making up the set of scales (4 fileworked pieces each side of nickel/silver, two pieces each side of carved ebony, and one piece of giraffe bone-each side), I have all the pieces glued together and then the seven pieces comprising each scale are glued to very thin brass shim liners on each side. The screw holes go all the way through so that if I remove the screws, the entire scale can be removed as one unit. In other words...when you remove the scale from either side, at the bottom of that scale (or unit) you're now looking at the brass shim..does that make sense?).

Hope I made that clear...

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!
Old 08-15-2003, 05:39 PM

OK, now I'm cornfused. I was referring to the stainless liner halves that are the frame. That's my answer. Dennis' answer covers decorative liners perfectly.

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 08-16-2003, 02:33 AM

Heh-heh...

Now I see how it could be construed both ways...Depends on what "liners" we're talking about.

Coop's answer is indeed what you were probably looking for...Bolsters and scales screw to the stainess liners.
(Whew, I need to stop doing this so late at night...maybe I start hallucinating around this time... or maybe I tend to be just a wee bit too focused on the embellishment side of things! )

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!
Old 08-16-2003, 09:14 AM
Skilled

thanks alot guys i figured it would work with just screws. plus i guess with just the screws i coud make up a few types of scales for the same knife

thanks again......justin
Old 08-16-2003, 11:25 PM
Skilled

well im typing with one hand now! but its done after losing and finding every screw and standoff twice (one standoff is still mia) ,gashing my hand deeep to the bone, striping thredds, breaking drill bit and tap, losing the clip, and chipping a few nice gaps in the carbon fiber. yea almaost anything that could go wrong did and i must say it was very frustrating but very fun ! cant wait to start my next kit
Old 08-16-2003, 11:52 PM

Yeh, that sounds about right...

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!
Old 08-17-2003, 12:28 AM
Skilled

woohoo i just found that missing standoff. by the way my freind had a good idea to use a magnetic chess board to asemble the kit so i dont loose any more parts. i will be doing so next time arownd

thanks....justin
Old 08-17-2003, 08:32 AM

One GIANT sneeze can send things everywhere!

I bought one of those 18"x24" door mats of black carpet. I do my assembly work on that. It's easy to see the parts and they don't scatter *when* they get dropped.

I also use 'Hungry Man' TV dinner trays to hold my parts for each knife. Keeps me in order and fat, too!

Coop

Old 08-17-2003, 11:39 AM
Skilled

im almost positive that thay make magnetic auto parts trays. i might try and get one of those. any way im still typing with one hand! but i want to try and fit the foldover clip on to it. but the holes i drilled and taped got stripped so do you guys think that i could use super glue or epoxy to secure it. as of now the clip stays with in place. and is hard to get out but it rattles a bit .

let me know what you guys think....justin
Old 08-17-2003, 02:34 PM

Justin,

I'm pretty certain you got yourself in a mess that isn't easy to fix. Now, are the heads of the screws stripped, so you can't remove them, or are the threads stripped so they don't move, or worse, are they just spinning without coming out or tightening?

Maybe Crazy Glue isn't such a bad idea after all. Ugghh.

Secondly, almost all of the little parts are stainless, and are non-magnetic. Don't spend your money on the tray. Just be more careful *next* time.

Coop

Old 08-17-2003, 03:17 PM
Skilled

lol yea the screws turning but dont pull out . i got the clip off so it looks good and feels ok but i would like to attach the clip. so i guess these are my options crazy glue with or without some kind of filler, epoxy the same as the crzy glue,biger screws, new holes close to the old ones,new holes some where else , or leave the clip off?
by the way my original placement was on the bottom of the handle facing up to the bolsters.

doh! on the magnetic tray idea! oh well i got a different idea that might work with out magnets.
thanks .....justin
Old 08-17-2003, 03:36 PM

If you're thinking of gluing the clip on with CA or Epoxy, I'd forget that idea. I really don't think it'll hold up.

If you must use a clip, try and drill new holes right next to, or above/below the old ones,...perhaps you can do it so that the old holes are left hiding under the clip.

Good luck!

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!
Old 08-17-2003, 07:46 PM

If your holes are all placed correctly, and there is nothing still stuck in them, you can drill and tap them to the next larger size.

For a cheap tapping fixture, use your drill press. Clamp the piece on the table. Use the chuck to hold the tap, and turn the wheel by hand up above while feeding the tap in with the lever.

Sure beats going in crooked.

Coop

Tags
forge, knife, knives