MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 11-16-2002, 12:58 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Sigmon
because you can never have too many tools!
Not in my case, I'm a minimalist. All I want is the minimum amount of tools to get the job done. I was the same way when I was a photographer and when I made custom furniture. I'm not going into production with these kits, I don't care if I work on each kit for a month. I'm also not looking to make the Art pieces I've seen here or ever compete in one of the contests. I'm a strong advocate of the KISS formula.
Old 11-16-2002, 01:06 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to falconhawk
Yeha, what Bob said hahahhahaahaha

Falconhawk

Old 11-16-2002, 01:32 PM

Phil,

I appreciate KISS. But for me KISS is finding the right tool for the job. I can then use the tool over and over again.

It also has to do with space for me. I try to pack what I can into my limited (basement) shop. I'm glad that I have a basement, but I would love a nice pole barn (40 X 60)

Bob Sigmon
Old 11-17-2002, 09:30 PM

Phil,

Ughhhh. I know how you feel. Regardless of how you tackle it the next time, you might be able to salvage it still. Can you grind the offending area back, as well as the bolster at that locale to offer a new edge? Can you fill the marks in with JB Weld and live with it? Just some thoughts.

I did the same Dremel-type treatment to my first one (yuck), and then rounded the edge on my next (YUCK!), then I've left well enough alone.

Let us know your method of recovery. We ALL go through this. (and it ain't limited to knives, BTW... )

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 11-17-2002, 10:21 PM
Administrator

Phil made a good point ... who cares how long you take to make one? The goal should be to make it until you're happy with the result.

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 11-27-2002, 07:06 PM
Steel Addict

Well, I got my OptiVisor today and being able to see what I'm doing is going to help a lot. I got the #5 lens plate which is supposed to magnify 2 1/2 times at 8" Focal Length. Actually with my glasses off the focus is at 8 inches, but with my glasses on the focus is at 6 inches. That seems kind of close to work at, but I tried it today and it seems to be okay.

Let's see I've got about $70 invested in magnification equipment to work on a $40 kit.
So, I guess I'll be making more kits.
Besides, I really like the way I look wearing my OptiVisor, I may just wear it all of the time.

Old 11-27-2002, 07:44 PM

"Waiter, there's a microbe in my soup!"

Boy did you just hit home!!! It'll be a LONG time before I amortize my shop equipment, too!! he he!

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 11-28-2002, 12:56 AM

Phil-

You're a real vision...

Did anyone mention how important it is to wear a good, organic double respirator? Put one of those on, flip down your Optivisor, and then we'll see how you look just before you start grinding away at one of the exotic woods, or carbon fiber, or Mother of Pearl, or giraffe bone, or just about any of the materials we use for handles...

And before you step up to that 72" belt grinder (which you WILL be buying before you know it) make sure you take off the tie

...and there's the drill press, and the bandsaw...

Better start thinking about how much you can get for that new knife of yours...because you'll need to save up for the many more knives you'll be wanting to make

Dennis

Yeah Baby!

PS. I can see from the smile on your face, your just as miserable as the rest of us being forced to make these knives against our will...make sure you keep posting more photos along the way...

Last edited by Osprey Guy; 11-28-2002 at 12:11 PM.
Old 11-28-2002, 03:41 AM
Administrator

Gotta like a knife maker who has brass enough to wear a suit and tie.

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC

Tags
blade, knife, knives