MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 04-05-2008, 07:06 PM
Enthusiast

Not sure on teh scales yet, I think I'll start with something inexpensive in case I mess up. I really like the stabilized wood burls and the Buckeye discussed in one of the early posts.

I live in Chandler Arizona.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:21 PM
Steel Addict

There are some wonderful/beautiful options, but they do get spendy. I think you're right in considering a less expensive option for the first couple of knives. The synthetics, Micarta/G-10, or non-stablelized woods would be a great, affordable, totally functional, option.

Mike
Old 04-06-2008, 08:14 AM
Enthusiast

How was the Mikarta linen to work with?
Old 04-06-2008, 11:55 AM
Steel Addict

I like working with the linen Micarta. It was a harder material than I thought it would be, but it finishes nicely. I think I took the finish up to 600 grit on the Maverick. My son and I did two knives, a butcher and a boning knife, with Red Linen Micarta. He's a butcher in training. I think we stopped at about 320 grit on his knives so they would have a little better "grip" when wet.

There are more colors of Micarta available than what KnifeKits.com has listed. If what you see on their site doesn't grab you, you might check out some of the other suppliers. Make sure the Micarta scales you order are thick enough or thicker than the bolsters.

One more thought on the bolsters, after commenting on how you might be able to hold them while filing (assuming you didn't have a vice) it occurred to me that you could leave them off entirely. Or purchase a kit that didn't include bolsters for your first knife. Just a thought....

Have fun,
Looking forward to hearing about your progress..
Mike
Old 04-06-2008, 03:11 PM
Enthusiast

Oh I think I can work with a bolster. I have never peened pins, especially at an angle. Just the unknown is a little intimidating....but I am sure I can figure it out. Maybe I'll start with a folder anyway. Still haven't decided. I have folding knives that I have purchased, but no dedicated hunting knife (I am a hunter). So I thought a nice drop point would be useful to me.
Old 04-06-2008, 03:13 PM
Enthusiast

BTW...any hints on polishing to a mirror surface? I have an old Buck knife trhat my dad left outside (under cover) for years. I would like to restore it.
Old 04-06-2008, 03:45 PM
Steel Addict

I've never attempted a mirror finish on a blade.
There's a good thread here: http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/sh...=mirror+finish

A search of the forums will probably give you all the info you need.

Mike
Old 04-06-2008, 10:27 PM
Enthusiast

Mike, Another question. You may get sick of me, but here it goes. On the Maverick Hunter, how did you deal with the tapered tang and drilling holes through the handle material square to the tang?
Old 04-07-2008, 01:05 AM
Steel Addict

Hi Joe, The tang being tapered doesn't effect the drilling. You'll be drilling a smaller hole than the hole in the tang.

What I did was fit the scale tight to the bolster on one side. Put a small drop of super glue on it to hold it in place (don't use too much, its got to come back off). Using your drill press, drill through the tang and the scale, note: the scale is down, tang is up. Now fit the second scale to the other bolster, small drop of CA glue, flip it over and drill through the entire thing. That is, drill back through the holes you drilled in the first scale and your bit will be guided through the tang and through the second scale. If you're going to use a step drill bit for bolts rather that a solid pin, the process will be similar, but you would drill with the smaller sized bit first then come back with the step drill at your desired depth.

Now break the scales loose from the tang and continue.

One thing to look out for. The tang on my Maverick was not flat. It had a bend in it. Check yours with a straight edge when you get. You may have to do a little bending to get it flat so that the scales fit tightly to the tang.

Mike
Old 04-13-2008, 09:24 AM
Enthusiast

Mike,

Any more kits on the horizon for you?
Old 04-13-2008, 12:33 PM
Steel Addict

Joe,

I'm thinking of getting one of the DDR2's to assemble. I would also like to do a few more Scandi style knifes. I've done a couple and really enjoyed them.

Have you ordered your kit yet?

Mike
Old 04-13-2008, 06:21 PM
Enthusiast

I like the DDR2...I have ordered a lock back folder called "The Gambler" from Texas Knifemaker's Supplies. I did so because I have a "how to" DVD on it already. I will probably go to the DDR2 or the Maverick Hunter next.

Tags
blade, fixed blade, hunting knife, knife, knives