MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 07-26-2001, 11:39 AM
Frank Niro

A.T. Barr knife fit and finish

Sorry I was not sure where to post this.First I wish you lots of success A.T.!! You certainly do quality work!!! Would you please tell me what sand paper size you go to when finishing between the bolsters and scales? I would also appreciate remarks on how you go about finishing the outside surface of bolsters and handle scales such as, are they done together on the belt grinder, hand done, or both as I would expect. Your finishing work is some of the best I,ve seen. I believe your pictures show your fit and finish very well. Thanks in advance for any help. I'll certainly appreciate it. Frank
Old 07-27-2001, 10:28 AM
JerryO13

A.T. Barr is at the guild show. He'll be back Aug. 5th
Old 07-27-2001, 10:14 PM
Frank Niro

A.T. Barr at Guild Show.

Thanks for that note Jerry O Frank Niro
Old 08-05-2001, 06:54 AM
atbarr

Re: A.T. Barr at Guild Show.

Hey, thanks for the kind words. I use a disc grinder to match up the scales and bolsters. I use 150 or 180 grit wet and dry sandpaper. The bolsters and scales are together when shaping. I first put micarta on to shape the bolster and then I put on the final scale material. I start out using the 8" or 10" wheel to rough shape. I then remove the wheel and go to slack belt. I start out with 50 grit and then 100 grit. I then go to the 3m Micron belts. I start with the 80 grit Micron. I feel it is quicker to use each step down on the Micron belts. If you skip a grit, it just takes longer. As I mentioned above, I start with the Micarta scales then I put on the good scales.... for EACH series of grits. Back and forth, back and forth. It's a real pain, but it sure helps keep the bolsters flush to the final handle material. After I finish with the 9 Micron, I start the hand sanding with 800 wet and dry. I finish with 2000 grit. If the knife does not have a bolster and the handle material is Micarta or G10, you can stop the slack belt at 30 Micron and then hand sand with 600 grit wet and dry.

Let me know if you need additional information.

A.T.

--
A.T. Barr
www.customknives.com

If you make, sell, or just love knives and want a website with your name
customknives.com/your.name, for $70.00 a year, check out
www.customknives.com/webdesign

Old 08-05-2001, 07:58 PM
Frank Niro

Folder finishing

A.T. sure appreciated your reply! When you do the hand sanding do you still go micarta first ? Also what do you use for sandpaper backing while doing this? Thanks again!! Frank.
Old 08-05-2001, 10:32 PM
atbarr

Re: Folder finishing

All hand sanding is done with the final scale material. I wrap the sandpaper around a hard piece of rubber.

A.T.

--
A.T. Barr
www.customknives.com

If you make, sell, or just love knives and want a website with your name
customknives.com/your.name, for $70.00 a year, check out
www.customknives.com/webdesign

Old 08-06-2001, 07:40 PM
Frank Niro

A.T. Barr finishing work

Thanks much! Frank

Tags