MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum

The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum Specialized knife making tips, technique and training for "ultra precision" design work enthusiasts.

Old 12-18-2003, 05:17 PM
Steel Addict

Chainsaw Damascus, My Way.

My way of making chainsaw Damascus is a bit different from anything I have seen. So I thought I would share my method here and see what you guys have to say.

Set up:
I start with a 7/16? rod of 4130 chrome molly and several chainsaw chains. I take the chains and cut one link in each. I now have strait chains, I place one on edge (bar laying flat and chainsaw teeth up) at 90? from the end of the rod and weld it in place with a tig welder and 4130 wire. I then proceed to wrap the chain (teeth up) around the 4130 rod. Where this chain ends I weld the next chain and continue the wrap until all three chains are in place.

Welding:
First I take a 2 gallon bucket of hot water and ad 3 cups of 20 mule team borax I proceed to heat the billet several times to near weld heat and quench in this borax and water mix. I do this no less than 3 times as a cleanup of the billet. I then bring it to cherry red and flux well with borax, reheat to welding heat and pound it square on the anvil. I reflux and reheat then start working all four sides on the power hammer.

I like to draw out and fold this billet 4 times, then twist and fold again. This process creates a rather unique pattern that I have not seen elsewhere. As usual, when I get some film developed I will post some pictures.

Rick
(aka) bulldog
Old 12-21-2003, 06:55 PM
Skilled

I think you picked the wrong forum for this info. Thanks for posting it. I'm gonna have to give it a try since I've been having trouble getting my chain to weld. If you have a pic of the wrap I'd like to see it just to make sure I understand what your talking about.

Fear causes hesitation, hesitation will cause your greatest fear to come true.

Old 12-21-2003, 08:44 PM
Steel Addict

This is a piece of 4130 with the first chain wrapped.

This is a billet I just started this evening. It is unfolded and untwisted. I will draw it out and fold it atleast 4 times before twisting.

The main thing to remember is to work the billet from 4 sides rather than 2. It takes a little practice but its easier than wiring up a bunch of chains and trying to weld them. And I personally feel it produced a superior pattern.

Last edited by bulldogsblades; 12-21-2003 at 09:01 PM.
Old 12-21-2003, 10:01 PM
Skilled

Thanks alot. Looks like it will work much better that way. Looks alot simpler too.....seems the simple eludes me most of the time. I'll give it a try tomrrow.

Fear causes hesitation, hesitation will cause your greatest fear to come true.

Old 12-21-2003, 10:22 PM
Steel Addict

You will find it?s a lot easier once you get the hang of it. There is a lot less air or spaces to contend with when you start welding. And it?s a lot easier to handle.

Keep me posted on what you think!
Old 12-22-2003, 06:21 PM
Steel Addict

you will see I have posted this topic to Ed Caffrey's Workshop. I hope thats the correct location.

Tags
blade