MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 10-20-2012, 06:02 PM
Steel Addict

New

I have posted on several threads and spend a lot of time reading numerous post. I enjoy the people on here not that other forums are not informative, they are it's just that this site seams to have a good feel. I broke my back 1 1/2 yrs ago and am still working on getting better. In the mean time I need something to do while sitting. I have worked as a cook and as as a handyman (women) using many power tools and knives, now I want make knives. I do have a problem. Very early I started buying tools. One web site seemed to be very informative he also sold stuff. He misrepresented a band saw as being used for knives. I bought it grizzly GO555. Inside the manual it says do not cut metal. I am not going to eat this but I am a nice person and don't want to feel like I am threatening anyone. If I can use a link from his site to purchase this even tho it is shipped from Grizzly he does make a commission I would think. So I want to make sure he does not continue to do this what should I do 1st.?
Old 10-20-2012, 06:30 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

I'm not sure what you're asking. That is a very nice wood saw, I have a similar Grizzly saw and it is very useful in knife making as far as cutting up handle material is concerned but, as you said, it is not for metal. Many knife makers use a less expensive 4x7" saw from Harbor Freight - Grizzly also sells this saw - that costs under $300. Some guys even buy Porta-Band saws and modify them to use.

If this guy mislead you then you need to talk to him. If he's advertising on KNET then you need to tell us who he is so we might have a word about advertising accuracy but that's about all that is likely to happen since there can be a pretty fine line between misleading advertising and a simple misunderstanding. From years of reading comments in these forums I can tell you there is plenty of misunderstandings and misconceptions where power saws are concerned ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 10-20-2012, 11:56 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks, I agree w/ that. Plus I couldn't really post this guys stuff and feel OK w/ that. I didn't relies how vague I was until you commented. Ray I sent one of his comments to you. The problem is there are a lot of newbies looking for answers for every answer we get it seems someone else tells us something different. If someone is misleading on purpose that is different. It can some times work better to find a few people you can trust and narrow your research. I am getting better w/ this. Just ask a newbie about HT and grinders there's 2 areas that you can find an opinion or 2.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:50 PM
Skilled

Send a message via Yahoo to combs6136
Listen to Ray.........He will keep you staight................carl

Old 11-04-2012, 10:18 PM
Administrator

I second that, Piggy...Listen to Ray!!! He'll tell you the truth!!

Welcome to KNet!

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC

Tags
arrow, back, handle, knife, knife making, knives, make, making, material, post, simple, tools, wood