MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fine Embellishment

Fine Embellishment Everything from hand engraving and scrimshaw to filework and carving. The fine art end of the knifemaker's craft.

Old 03-08-2004, 02:55 AM
Steel Addict

Proper vise to use with microscope?

I have used a standard vise from GRS for a good while, but I have just ordered a microscope to better see what I'm doing. It wasn't from GRS so I did not think about that new block they have, not that I could afford it as well. Does anyone know of a way to adapt the standard block to keep it in the focus area?Or does this mean I'll have to wait another few years to buy their other vise? I saw the setup that Lynton Mckenzie uses and could probably make one, but it seems a shame to dump the one I have. Any ideas will be very welcome.

Old 03-08-2004, 08:04 AM
Steel Addict

One of your options is to place a teflon disc or a similar slick material under the rubber base and then place the vice on a piece of glass or slick surface and simply slide the vice with your hand when you need it repositioned. One more option is to buy or make a turntable to slide the vice on and reposition the area to be engraved to the center spot under the microscope and turn the turntable instead of the vice when cutting scroll.
Old 03-08-2004, 05:32 PM
Steel Addict

Lee is right, just use your lock down feature on your GRS vise, and put it on turntable to use its rotation, , either of your own making or getting the turntable from GRS... I think they are $89.00 from them ... not sure....

I am now in Belgium visiting with Phil Grifnee.... what an awesome engraver... more later
Old 03-23-2004, 06:35 AM
Registered

microscope vise

My solution to this problem was to use smalll magnets inletted into a a block round wood approx 2.5" dia. Lee Valley Tools sells small earth magnets 1" round. Use four arrayed around diameter and one in center of block. Inlet magnets by drilling holes just deep enough to keep magnets flush with surface of block. Place the block in your vise and place work on magnets. the work piece can be slid around but will hold the work quite well when engraving. The magnets hold just enough to hold work, the piece can be moved in an instant and the chips etc still can brushed or blown clear. The only problem I have had with set-up is my gravers tend to get magnetized after a while but I use a de-magnetizer to correct this so it's no big deal. Works for me!
Old 03-23-2004, 08:43 PM

I don't know how your vice is built so this may not work for you but mine had a small y-shaped piece that kept the screw stationary in the middle. I took this out and now I can slide the screw and jaws from side to side to keep my engraving centered.
Old 03-24-2004, 08:02 AM
Living Legend

Hey J .W. I do what Lee said it works great for me I have been using that idea for yrs. now .. also I use a old drill press stand to control my hight . just take the head off of the stand and place your vise on the drill press table when you need to go higher or lower you just crank the handle up or down

Old 03-24-2004, 11:17 AM
Enthusiast

J.W. , I have a GRS low profile vise and it sits on a GRS turntable. The turntable is pretty pricey at $189 but it turns smoothly and has no play in it.

Ron... Did you have to bolt your drill stand to the floor or was it pretty stable on it's own?

Shawn
Old 03-24-2004, 09:18 PM
Living Legend

HI Shawn .. the drill press stand that I am useing is prety steady I didnt have to bolt is down .. I will post some photos of it in a couple of days ..

Old 03-24-2004, 09:21 PM
Enthusiast

That would be great, Ron. I'd like to see them.

Thanks,
Shawn
Old 03-25-2004, 07:16 AM
Steel Addict

As long as we are chatting about vices, stands, and setups I'll throw out one more idea. I give Chris DeCamillus complete credit for this jewel. Keep your vice on a pedestal such as what Ron is talking about but raise the desk, table, or heavy shelf whatever you want to call it up high enough so that any gun barrel you are working on will swing underneath instead of over the top as they would with a normal table. Place the microscope, engraving machine, power hone,etc on the table and all the stuff that you are engraving will swing freely underneath with worrying about smacking into the microscope and all of the junk on top. Not a big deal if all you ever do are small objects but a wonderful setup for the bigger stuff.
Old 03-25-2004, 08:15 AM
Living Legend

Here are 3 photos of my vise /bench set up ..

Old 03-25-2004, 08:18 AM
Living Legend

Old 03-25-2004, 08:21 AM
Living Legend

and photo #3 that is a colt cylinder that i am working on ..I hope this will help ..

Old 03-25-2004, 10:07 AM
Enthusiast

Ron...Thanks for the photos!

Lee, that is a very good tip. I will keep that in mind when I build my permanent bench. You mentioned teflon to put under the engraving block above. Where did you find it??

Thanks,

Shawn
Old 03-25-2004, 01:36 PM
Enthusiast

Here's my temporary setup. I will more than likely go with the drill press stand when I can locate one.