MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Balisong Discussions

Balisong Discussions Customs to productions, discussions about balisongs/butterfly knives, what's the best and how to do those crazy tricks.

Old 07-14-2003, 11:35 AM
Steel Addict

what's your finished typhoon plan?

Hey, I know a bunch of you have hit those typhoons pretty hard! I've seen the evidence. I'm curious to know - how many do you think you'll make? and what do you plan on doing with the ones you finish? Flip 'em? Put them away and admire your work periodically? Sell them? All of the above?

I gotta get to mine, but between no time and living in an nyc apartment, it's not so easy!

www.balisongtimes.com
Old 07-14-2003, 11:53 AM
Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to FivePointOh
Well mine just sits there in my coffee table display looking good next to a William Henry CF Lancet. I would like to make another Typhoon, this time with the plain handles and do a little something special with them. Sell them, na, don't think I could do that. Anyone want to by a modified Cheetah? Chuckel

Old 07-14-2003, 04:06 PM
Steel Addict

I envision someone, on a semi-pro basis, becoming a Typhoon handle maker with original designs. Hey, it could work.

On a personal level, the first few I do I'll probably just keep for sentimental reasons.

Balisongs. One of life's simpler pleasures.
Old 07-14-2003, 05:08 PM
Enthusiast

nybble
Both of mine are for sale.
Troy
E-Mail tbrown@okmedia.net
Old 07-14-2003, 09:30 PM
Steel Addict

I've only managed to finish one so far. (More will be coming as time permits.) It and all future ones as well will be for sale.

Tim

email Mail4Tim
Old 07-14-2003, 10:56 PM

I wouldnt even know how much to charge. I mean, if people were to pay a large sum, wouldnt they just buy a venturi from the man himself?
Old 07-14-2003, 11:21 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by twirl
I wouldnt even know how much to charge. I mean, if people were to pay a large sum, wouldnt they just buy a venturi from the man himself?
I think the thing with kits is, you can get more elaborate trimmings for cheaper. That is, you can spend $500 and get a hand built custom that's ti handle slabs and a nice blade steel and some carving on the handles or you can spend $500 and get a totally tricked out kit, with exotic bolsters and overlays and filework, etc... It's all trade offs and up to each person to figure out what they want to spend their money on. Of course, it's a given, that they're going to spend their money on some kind of knife.

You may want to check out this thread for some current discussions on just this topic. http://www.ckdforums.com/showthread....threadid=15333

www.balisongtimes.com
Old 07-15-2003, 12:00 AM
Skilled

Cool

That's a good question Felix. And I've put together a few already and I LOVE them!!!!!

My work limits me to the time I can spend.., but I'm gathering the troops for help...(and Darrel helps me lots too) <~~ which is nice!

Since I have a hard time selling any Balisong...lol..., I don't picture myself making one that is really nice..., and then seeing what I can get for it..., not now anyway.

I'm just trying to re-build my little shop in the garage little by little and get going...., but I think this will really be fun for the "Big-Time" Balisong nuts. We should see some incredible stuff!

The Knife Really ROCKS! ....in my opinion.., and I've been playing with some standard versions for over 4 weeks now.

When you add the "Innovation Factor" to that.., with all that can be done that is just a whim or part of your own personality..., I think that is what will make the project really great! I hope it "Flys High"..., because there are all levels of involvement possible......, ranging from just having a nice standard model with a neat profile for flipping and using....., to grinding trainer blades.., engraving..., varied inlays and filing.....etc.

As we've all talked about before..., the Balisong folks tend to be a very creative crowd.., and taking that ability to "The Bench" will be really great I think.

How many do I plan to build.... .....

Lots! .., and that's just an estimate..

I really love the idea..., and I think some of the younger guys can really push the envelope and even give "Knifemakers" (The Real Guys).., some ideas. Neatest thing I've seen happen since Darrel made the Geminis'.., and BM got back in the game!

"There is no greater wisdom.., than [KINDNESS]"

"Hunters seek what they [WANT].., Seekers hunt what they [NEED]"

Last edited by ExamonLyf; 07-15-2003 at 12:06 AM.
Old 07-15-2003, 12:54 AM
Steel Addict

Wait, Pete, you've put together a few already and we haven't seen any pictures?? What's happening? Get off your lazy butt and snap a few shots for us.

www.balisongtimes.com
Old 07-15-2003, 08:59 AM
Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Murnax
I bought two. One milled and one standard. I finished the milled one and it is just for display. I'm halfway through the standard handle one and it will be a flipper. These really turned me on to the kit knife idea, though, and I'm already working on some folders. I can't say I have any plans to sell mine, but certainly wouldn't complain if that should happen.
Old 07-16-2003, 06:12 PM

well i got mine chillen on my table. i use it from time to time but to make it a real flipping knife id have to modify the tang (those little wings that curv down takes out chunks of skin on a role-over) sand down the back of the blade (makeing it not so sharp) but the worst part is the pivots, u can only tighten them so much until the whole pivot turns makeing it imposible to get tight enough.

so for me it is not a flipping knife, it looks good but its not better than any high class production model (benchmades microtech or swat).

Old 07-17-2003, 07:54 AM
Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Murnax
Quote:
Originally posted by twekermaggio
well i got mine chillen on my table. i use it from time to time but to make it a real flipping knife id have to modify the tang (those little wings that curv down takes out chunks of skin on a role-over) sand down the back of the blade (makeing it not so sharp) but the worst part is the pivots, u can only tighten them so much until the whole pivot turns makeing it imposible to get tight enough.
Loctite will solve your pivot problem. Just put a few drops on the pivot screws, tighten them to the desired level, and let it dry. And I completely agree with you about those horns. I'm in the process of filing mine down on my flipper Typhoon now.
Old 07-19-2003, 07:31 PM

no the lock tight is the problem. i use the red on my benchmades so i did the same with the typhoon. well now when i turn the screw to tighten the pivots the whole pivot asembly turns so nothing happens. i should have used the blue locktight.

hay when u finished filiing down the horns post a pic id like to see how it looks.

thanks

Old 07-22-2003, 09:23 PM

tweek,
Put your thumb on the blade and apply pressure when you adjust the pivot. The pressure will put force on the pin from the side and allow you to adjust the pivot with the red in place.

Tags
balisong, blade, butterfly knife, knife, knives