MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:52 PM
Skilled

What would you call this one?

I was waiting for a blade to come out of the oven so I had some time to spare and I really felt an urge to forge something. I had a small piece of 5160 and started forging it into a blade. I had no particular knife in mind, and it just sort of developed all by itself. The curve in the blade, and the curve in the tang just happened, and I decided to "go with the flow". As it took shape I saw it as some sort of Nordic Viking tribal kinda thing. I wanted to get the feel of wilderness in there, so I incorporated some leather, stone and wood which looks like bone into the handle. The finish on the steel is "as forged", and it's all done by hand. I don't know what you'd call it. It's art, I think...
The wood is hazelnut, and the piece in the middle is charred fir. I cut the hazelnut from a tree in my yard and ripped the crotch wood into 1 1/2 inch pieces. I put some of them in my toaster oven at 100F for three days, and then left them to acclimatize for three weeks before shaping it into the grip. The fir is from a thirty year old 2x4, harder than oak. Fir gets that way with age. The blade is 4 1/2 inches long, over all 9 1/4 inches. The display stand is wrought iron on a disc of hazelnut. I hope you like it.
Thanks!
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG][IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

Two Mountains Forge
Delta, BC, Canada
www.twomountainsforge.com

Last edited by ckluftinger; 03-01-2011 at 12:00 AM.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:01 AM
Hall of Famer

I'd call it extreamly well made.

Doug Lester

Old 03-01-2011, 07:12 AM
Steel Addict

Very beautiful indeed.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:00 AM
Enthusiast

I've been looking for a folder like that for quite some time.

One of the biggest issues I have with new knives is that "first scratch." I have dozens of knives on the shelf, and I always promise myself that I'm going to designate one as a sacrificial lamb and give myself permission to really use it.

(I don't like junk knives for this purpose, I like good cutlery.)

Up until now when I find a knife I really enjoy using (right now it's the new folding Pelton HEST) I'll buy two of them. Then I force myself to eat with the 'user' in a bizarre ritual I call "mayonnaising." After that there's enough minor whisker marks on it to ease my conscience.

What I need is premium steel in a well made folder built by a knowledgeable cutler but devoid of polish. I can tell by the uniform polished blade road that attention to detail is there. I just wish it was a folder. Right out of the box, into my pocket and then used to slice open a wet UPS box!
Old 03-01-2011, 07:33 PM
Enthusiast

A persian fighter....and a very pretty one at that...you should make those for a living....
(G)

Old 03-01-2011, 11:21 PM
Steel Addict

wow!! that is amazing! the best knives are the ones that "form" themselves! you should let the metal speak to you more often!

i like the stand too!!

[www.cjsknives.com
Old 03-02-2011, 08:46 AM
Skilled

Thanks, all. CJS, I agree. It's the unexpected which often works out the best. If you leave yourself the freedom to improvise as you go, the most amazing things can happen - pretty dumb stuff, too, but that's the gamble you take. Makes it more challenging I think. I got three chefs' knives going for various customers, and they all want the same thing. Granted, I came up with the design, and I do like making them, but I'm required to follow the "instructions" so to speak, after all, the client has an expectation as to what he will get. If "fancy" strikes me, and I think a drop point would look better than the original design, or i find a particularly interesting piece of wood which is not what the customer ordered, I'd have to run it by him first. Kinda takes the spontaneity out of the creative process.

Two Mountains Forge
Delta, BC, Canada
Old 03-02-2011, 10:05 AM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckluftinger View Post
I came up with the design, and I do like making them, but I'm required to follow the "instructions" so to speak, after all, the client has an expectation as to what he will get. If "fancy" strikes me, and I think a drop point would look better than the original design, or i find a particularly interesting piece of wood which is not what the customer ordered, I'd have to run it by him first. Kinda takes the spontaneity out of the creative process.
this example you used is EXACTLY why i dont take custom orders anymore. they take the fun out of knife making. we must maintain that artistic freedom that we use to make these awesome knives. your latest knife is a great example of that, no customer would have seen THAT in his head and told you thats what he wanted. NO, that is the artist within you that came up with that design, and anyone would be happy to call that their knife!

take Orange County Choppers for example. when someone orders a bike from them they dont tell Pauly how to design the bike and how the tank is going to look. sometimes they dont even get to choose the paint!! OCC has artistic freedom to do what THEY do best and that is design bikes. they know what works and how it should look and etc. the customer doesnt.

try this... the next guy who wants a knife.... just take a style order. for instance he wants a full tang drop point. thats it! you come up with the rest! it is so much more fun for the builder that way. if he doesnt like the end result, then sell it on a forum, and you still had a good time. (chances are if you do it this way you will come up with something amazing and he is going to love it!)

we are NOT a production shop who makes knives for MONEY! we make knives for the FUN of making knives!! so have fun, make what you like to make, and "IF YOU BUILD IT, IT WILL SELL!! "

[www.cjsknives.com
Old 03-02-2011, 11:01 PM
Skilled

I like how you think. I actually had intended to do just that, until some primadonna chef came along and said "I'd love to have one of your knives, except..." and, of course I was only too happy to oblige. Yes, I prefer to make what I like, when I like, and how I like it, but when someone comes along and asks me to make one especially for him or her, I can't say no - yet.

Two Mountains Forge
Delta, BC, Canada
Old 03-03-2011, 07:28 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckluftinger View Post
I actually had intended to do just that, until some primadonna chef came along.
This is the problem in working for yourself. When I started a retirement business our industry was thriving on the 'tactical' wave. And while I have mixed feelings on that, I did apply for and obtain a state cutlery ####### to sell automatics to LEOs, EMTs and soldiers. No one else was doing that.

As you might have guessed, I had to change my focus. Speaking of chefs, no one in my area polishes edges with Japanese waterstones, and while the tactical trend stalled, the need that chefs had for expensive kitchen knives grew. After sharpening in a upscale kitchen for a little over two hours--and making over 600 bucks--I had to change my "mission statement."

Chefs are like neuro-surgeons, tenured professors and liberal congressmen. They whine at the drop of a hat, demand immediate service in heated telephone calls and yet expect compliance, and always seem to forget the tradesmen like us need to be paid. I fired a chef once, his conduct finally crossed the line.

I do carry an inventory that appeals to me, it's my company. But I have to pay the rent. If I have to research and provide a black knife for a chairborne ranger or listen to a chef rant, well then, it's part of the gig.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:30 AM
Steel Addict

You guys make good points. dont misunderstand me, i am not saying turn away work.

see this is where the selling side of the business comes in, and its where it starts to get tricky. you have to be selective with your words, and convey to them where you stand as an artist, and how you work as an artist.

its not easy to explain here in an email type setting, and that is why i prefer to talk to my customers either in person at a knife show, or on the phone. its more personal, and you can better get your point across.

in my expereince you are not selling a knife, you are selling yourself! thats what networking is all about, they get to like you and decide to have you make them a knife because they like you. take a car salesmen. if you dont like your car salesmen you probally arent going to buy a car from him. But, if he has won you over, you are more likely to go along with his song and dance.

bottom line.... give it a try! put the fun back into making knives!!

[www.cjsknives.com
Old 03-09-2011, 01:44 PM
Enthusiast

Hi Chris,

great Job, great Knife.

Greets
Klonix

Old 03-09-2011, 05:23 PM
Skilled

Thanks, Bayer. I like your quote at the bottom. Very true.

Two Mountains Forge
Delta, BC, Canada
Old 03-10-2011, 08:50 AM

Well done Chris. It's the best when you can just bust loose and do what's in you!

Have to agree with the general statement that you have to maintian flexibility in what you do (or you won't eat regular!). I do cutlery for several chefs in the area, most Japanese. A few are like Tourist said, but there's not much to firing one. Most have been very accomodating and patient. They know good steel when they use it - not talking Benni-hana grill chopping here.

I like Andy's baseline quote as well, but my GranMuddy would have added: "It's only an adventure if it doesn't kill you!"

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 03-10-2011, 02:32 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crex View Post
A few are like Tourist said, but there's not much to firing one. Most have been very accomodating and patient.
Oh, I didn't mean to make it sound like this was a regular occurence. In fact, I befriended a young barista once, who later became a chef. He drove from Tennessee to Wisconsin to have me polish his roll. Most guys are decent.

But I can see the problem coming a mile away. Usually it's a younger chef, who has received enough accolades--with a hefty salary--to make him believe the restaurant cannot live without him. He'll pay me a few hundred dollars to polish a few dings out of his favorite knife, because after all, the world needs his signature dish and the restaurant pays my fee anyway.

I did quit this portal-to-portal stuff to sidestep the problem. I work at home, I pick up the stuff and return it by the next day (usually). This cuts down on the abuse and adrenaline since the chef knows that a reasonable period must pass.

If, however, the chef will authorize a fee equal to the cost of the polish, I'll meet the demand. But this has never happened, that is, when the accounts payable person learns that this flight of ego will cost +400 bucks.

Oh, and it has to be raining. Sunny days in Wisconsin are precious, and I ride when I can.

Tags
anvil, art, awesome, blade, cutlery, flags, folder, forge, forged, forging, hunting, hunting knife, iron, knife, knife making, knives, sharpening, stone, tactical, tang