MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > KNet Classifieds :: For-Sale Forums > General ::: Items and Bargains

General ::: Items and Bargains Good deals on useful items for sale by Knife Network members

Old 03-07-2010, 10:07 AM
Steel Addict

Grinder in a box! DIY grinder kit

Greetings all! A while ago, a grinder kit came on the market. Things happened, and it was no longer available. Then, Chris (aka blindhogg over at BF) redrew a similar design. The cad files can be found at http://blindhogg.com/eerfgrinder.html

We talked a bit, made a few changes, and this is what came of it. I'll be offering this grinder kit for $250 plus shipping ($10.20 in the US via USPS flat rate box.) I can only make it to the post office to ship these on Fridays. I'll have everything boxed up and ready to ship each week. When ordering, please include which platen style you'd prefer (pictured below). I accept credit cards only(through my credit card processor, not paypal) at this point.

There is a little assembly, drilling, tapping, and countersinking a few holes. Wheels and a motor are not included. It is designed to use a motor with a 56c frame.

The tooling arm mount is 1 1/2 inches as is the work rest. All the pieces are laser cut from 1/2" steel. It assembles to a very sturdy grinder.

My information page for it is located at http://www.polarbearforge.com/grinder_kit.html. The page contains assembly instructions, a tool list, and a couple estimated pricing breakdowns depending on style of platen.

This grinder can be setup to use 72" belts. I setup one of mine with a 60" belt, and the rest will be 90". There's a lot of room for adjustment, it's all dependent on the length of the tooling arm.

If you want to use a MAP arm it will not work with the current design of this kit. I will be working on making this work, but I dont' have a definate timeline right now.

Here is what is included:

And choice of either platen style. The top one is the multi platen, it uses a small wheel at the top, a large wheel at the bottom and the platen itself inbetween. It can be rotated to use any portion. The bottom one is the standard platen. It's meant to have two smaller wheels with the platen itself inbetween. It can rotate to different angles.

I run 90" belts, and here's what it looks like setup with one of them. This one is also assembled left handed, most people will probably assemble it backwards to this image.

If there are any questions, just let me know. The best way to contact me is via email at jamie at polarbearforge dot com. Thanks!

Jamie

jamie@polarbearforge.com

Last edited by polarbearforge; 03-07-2010 at 11:44 AM.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:30 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks to everybody who's emailed me. I've had a number of people share their pictures of the grinder build with me, finished examples can be found at http://www.polarbearforge.com/completed.htm. It's fun to see the variations that some people have used.

A few frequently asked questions.

I will ship internationally. The flat rate box is limited to 20 pounds, so it takes 3 boxes this way. I have found that it is still quite a bit cheaper than sending one 55# pound box. The shipping for Canada and Mexico is $80.85 (3 X $26.95) and for everywhere else is $130.35 (3 X $43.45).

I will also sell the platen setup invidually. Either the multi platen or the standard platen are $20 apiece with shipping still at $10.20 in the USA, $26.95 for Canada and Mexico, and $43.45 for everywhere else.

There will be no grinder kits shipping the week of April 5th. I will be in Alabama for Batson's Bladesmithing Symposium. I will have some kits with me, so if you'd like to see them first in person, this would be a good chance. You can also pick one up without shipping costs.

Jamie

jamie@polarbearforge.com

Tags
image, kit, kits