MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 01-06-2002, 06:43 PM
WFORGE

Little Giant

I have just finished rebuilding a 50 lb. Little Giant. The cluch is located in between the two main bearings and I am trying to figure the best way to locate/mount the motor. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 01-06-2002, 10:10 PM
Ed Caffrey

The Little Giants that have the clutch wheel located between the journals are commonly called "line shaft" models. They were set up that way to work off a central line shaft that went through the shop. These shafts were generally driven by an old "one lunger" engine located outside the shop.
On my 25 lber, I built a motor stand that mounts to the rear bearing journal caps. I used extended length bolts through the rear journal caps, with a lock nut first (the kind with nylon in them to keep them snug). I first adjusted the nuts so that the main shaft had free rotation (no binding or tightness), then put the motor stand on the bolts, and bolted the stand down with standard lock washers and nuts. I also had to add an adjusting rod to the rear of the motor mount plate, which serves two functions..........one is to keep the belts tight, and the other is to keep the motor mount level.

Old 01-07-2002, 10:59 AM
WFORGE

Ed,

Thanks for the input and especially the pics. Hadn't thought of doing it the way you have your 25 pounder. Good idea, thanks again.

Wayne