MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Organizations and Club Boards > The North Carolina Custom Knifemakers Guild Forum

The North Carolina Custom Knifemakers Guild Forum The North Carolina Custom Knifemakers Guild. Raising the general awareness of custom knives and the people who make them.

Old 09-30-2006, 11:40 PM
Guru

Shop time

Hey guys, just wanted to mention that I spent most of the day out at Alan Folts' shop today and I have to say that it was probably one of the best learning experiences I've had in knifemaking to date. I've known Alan for a while now, but I never spent any serious shop time with him until today and I've got to say, I wish I'd done it a year ago.

I walked away with some great tips, even greater experience and a new knife. Not to mention some motivation to make more. I've been off and on at this for probably 3 years by now and I can't think of any experience or day of knifemaking that taught me more. If a picture is worth a thousand words then a teacher is worth a thousand pictures.

I brought some of my failures and some of what I thought were decent blades, by the end of the day I'd learned more from practicing on the failed knives than I did breaking them. Two for one deal I suppose. Not to mention I got to see just how bad my good knives were, not that Alan would say that, but once you see how to do something right it's pretty easy to see how wrong you were before.

Many thanks go to Alan for all of the help and advice today, not to mention the time. I'm not sure how many people start out on their own and figure out all the details from trial and error, but I can tell anyone out there that a few solid hours working with a talented knifemaker will save you weeks, months or even years of trial and error and you might just end up with a good friend to boot.

Regards,

See my knives @ knives.caphayes.com

This quote pains me:
-- "Strategically placed blood grooves control blood spray in covert deanimation activities." --
Old 10-07-2006, 11:17 AM

Yes, Alan has helped me with my knifemaking in more ways then I can count. He got me started in the craft, and even after having my own shop for years now I still find myself going to Alan with questions about new materials and help with thinking through some related process.

I know you'd be hard pressed to find a knifemaker that has had as many new makers visit their shop for real hands on learning. Alan does it all without looking for anything in return; maybe just the satisfaction of helping some else become a skilled knifemaker.

Visit My Website
mclurkincustomknives.com

Tags
knives