MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Photography Discussion

Knife Photography Discussion Share and improve your techniques on knife photography. Web and print imaging discussions welcome. Come on in ...

Old 12-16-2004, 09:26 PM
Hall of Famer

PS elements 3/Photoshop CS

I got elements 3 with my new Dell a short while back (it came with PSP also, which is a lot like elements 3 IMHO). I really like the program, but want to get deeper into things, so I'm looking at CS. Maybe someone will tell me some of the things that CS can do that the less expensive programs can't. It's a pricey jump, that's for sure, however I'm all set to go for it, just trying to keep from having buyers remorse later

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 12-16-2004, 10:33 PM
Registered

I can't give you a feature difference list as I've never messed with Elements.
I did have MS Pro 9 Digital and then went to Photoshop CS. I was stunned at all it can do and I can't even figure out half of it. The learning curve is steep but if you can think of any way to manipulate a photo, it can be done in CS. If it can't be done in CS, you can buy a plug-in that will do it. It is amazing software Robert.
Budget another $50 to $100 just in training materials. It's too much to try and learn on your own. I've done this course nearly twice now and I'll need to do it again before it all sinks in. howtoguru's

You just got that new camera so now you need to 'upgrade the back half of the process'. I got CS mine on ebay and saved several hundred but if you already have ####### to Elements, it might just be cheaper to upgrade that.
Old 12-17-2004, 03:11 AM

I am loving my CS now, but as Tracy said, it's got a handful of learning.

Let's see some knife pics first to see why you need it. You may have *other* problems that require attention first... he he he!

eBay is also where I scored my CS upgrade.

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 12-17-2004, 09:37 AM
Hall of Famer

No, not yet. I'm not ready for picture posting, but it's not entirely that part. Some of the design tools in CS, don't exist in elements 3, for instance a connect point tool. A guy (Phil) on bladeforums did a great tutorial using PS 7, and ran the group through the design of a wharncliff. Most of the things he did, I wasn't able to do in elements. They are some of the things I'd like to do. As far as the actual picture work (shadowing and so on), Elements 3 could get me buy fine since I'm on the low rung of the ladder on the learning curve. I'd just like to be working currently with something that several of the others have (CS). Of course CS will be updated to something else in a year or so, that's marketing.

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 12-20-2004, 01:33 PM
Steel Addict

Well Photoshop CS is quite a kick. I am on page 250 of 850 in my 5th book on the subject. There are many ways to accomplish things, some with higher quality and better results depending on what you are trying to do. Having ultimate control is very appealing to me as I used to process my own film and prints when I was into film photography. They are always improving Photoshop so it will not be left behind. I don't know that the difference is from CS to the lesser versions though.

Tags
knife