MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community

Knife Network Community TKN is all about excellence and sharing info. Our 'other' lives are also filled with stories, events, and opinions. This forum is an opportunity to discuss outside interests, personal experience, things that make us happy and things that don't!

Old 09-26-2007, 10:58 AM
Living Legend

PCness

Hi guys,

My co-workers & I where talking about email courtesy today & we were trying to get one guy to understand some basic concepts of this such as all caps. His responses where things such as he's just trying to draw attention to something or it's easier to read and that people shouldn't be so sensitive.

This got me to thinking, where does courtesy & respect end and PC begin? For this question I will define PC as the concept of non-hurtful to the point of ridiculous by a vast majority of people. Example: They're not left-handed, they're left-empowered

I think of respectful things such as not using profanity in mixed company a sign of respect and proper behavior, but I'm also a sailor & it is used more commonly among us. When our color guard performs out in public though I will ride the guys for the use of profanity. I've been called to the mat on being PC about not using it in public but I've also been called for not using it around women. Several ladies over the years have gotten miffed at me for treating them different from the guys!

I want to here what you guys think but please understand I don't want to started heated fights, heated discussions yes but at the end I want everyone to come out still friends.

Jim

Old 09-26-2007, 12:49 PM
Skilled

I'll jump in on this,, At any given time we are dealing with 5 generations of people and as the world gets smaller we are pushing folks together that have different customs and outlooks on life.
a quick example,,al though I am a Grandpa now,,Dad insisted that we address men as "Sir" and wemen as "Ma'am",,,no exceptions.
But a couple of years ago a customer brought a piece of heavy equipment into the shop for repairs,,The boss called me over to listen to the customer first hand,,The customer(in his 30's) asked if i would also repair a couple of other problems,,
My responce was "yes Sir,,I'll do that"
His responce was "You don't need to suck up to me"
to say the least inside i was INFURIATED that he would mistake my customs and courtisies
for "sucking up"
more and more I realize that the next generation can't pass on what they haven't been taught.
Skip
Old 09-26-2007, 01:20 PM
Living Legend

I can relate to "the next generation can't pass on what they haven't been taught" concept. One of my biggest pet peeves is people talking about things that are "common sense" like this was some inborn knowledge.

I grew up in the city and a lot of what country folk call common sense is something I never grew up with and vise versa.

Jim

Old 09-27-2007, 09:41 AM
Master

Jim-
To your point, my father always taught me that "common sence" is not very common at all. It wasn't until later in my life I realized what he was talking about - what's common sence to one person may be completely foreign to another.

As far as being courteous and/or P/C..... I've realized the regardless of what I do, or don't do, if it's in front of enough people someone will be offended. I make every effort to try not to offend people, but until I buy that private island I've been dreaming of chances are I'll go on being offensive to some.
-Dave

"The choice isn't between success and failure; it's between choosing risk and striving for greatness, or risking nothing and being certain of mediocrity." - Keith Ferrazi
Old 09-27-2007, 10:32 AM
Guru

Well, I always use sir and ma'am in person. Sometimes I find myself calling very young waitresses ma'am when perhaps I should be saying miss... anyways, computers are my day job and I have to say that e-courtesy should be a required course for modern companies. The way you shape your day-to-day emails will affect how you compose external emails to clients as well, even if you think you can just turn it off.

See my knives @ knives.caphayes.com

This quote pains me:
-- "Strategically placed blood grooves control blood spray in covert deanimation activities." --
Old 10-31-2007, 07:41 PM

Location: Blairsville--in the beautiful Appalachian mountains of North Georgia.
Being politically correct changes with the times and other factors such as age. At my age (older'n dirt) I cannot force myself to call a man half my age "Sir" or a young woman as "Ma'am". I am content with mister or miss and believe they are also. This is not discourteous, it is natural progression relative to one's point in life. I am not sure I would use "sir" or "ma'am" to people----- who are still my elders---but they are in a rather large minority! Courtesy can be reflected in your attitude as well as words. There is an old adage that says it all "Actions speak louder than words"! Sandy

Old 10-31-2007, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator

I got off the freeway one day and traffic was tied up because 2 women with a bunch of small kids had run out of gas on the feeder road. They spent all their money taking the kids to a water park and were stuck. I circled the block, bought a cheap gas can, and brought them some gas. When I got back with the gas, there was a cop there. He asked me if I was a relative and I explained how I happened to be helping them. The cop shook my hand and said, "Most people wouldn't do that." I replied, "I take a certain amount of pride in not being like most people."

Those fundamental concepts of common curtesy that were taught to us - sometimes with a smack across the head - have a lot of value that the current generation may not understand. Comedians don't work for a funny joke anymore; they just go for the vulgarities. It's sad. Yeah, I've worked with some pretty rough crews and can with the best of them. But there's a time and place for everything.

At one time I would take the Park and Ride bus into town for work. In bad weather the busses would often be packed and some would have to stand. Several times when I got up and offered my seat to a woman, I was cussed out and told I was a chauvenist pig by the woman I was trying to help!

You can't always win by doing the right thing. But it does make it easier to face yourself in the morning.

Old 12-05-2007, 12:38 PM
Registered

Whan a woman gives me a ration of crap for being courteous to her like offering her my seat or opening a door I just tell her I'm sorry but I thought I was dealing with a LADY and not a tramp. then I ask loudly I a real Lady would like to have a seat Or If I'm holding a door for her I'll shut it on her.
My Mama taught me that if someone doesn't deserve your courtesy so be it.
Sam
Old 12-10-2007, 08:34 AM
Hall of Famer

Being polite is one thing. That's showing courtesy or respect to another, because you respect doing so as a value.

Being politically correct, in my opinion, is accepting another custom or belief value because of social pressure--even though that custom or value may conflict with your own.