MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Network : Support & Services > Feature & Member Support

Feature & Member Support Questions about how to use the features on the Knife Network web site? Problems logging in? Post them in here.

Old 06-21-2001, 09:49 PM
primos

Hey Alex...

I think I have been able to duplicate the problem that some people are having with respect to tiny fonts being displayed in the forums.

To get this I highlighted and copied a post which looks normal on my display, then pasted it into MS Word. The font and size from the copied text pasted in as Verdana 5.5. Here's what it looks like...

I don't know how many people's browsers display this tiny font, and I don't understand why it looks normal on my display, but tiny in MS Word.

Weird huh?

Old 06-21-2001, 11:42 PM
CKDadmin

Wow ... that's way too small!

I'd like to see a couple of users post "Screenshots" of their display, if their getting similar effects. The only way we're going to solve this is to "fix" the sizing on the fonts, instead of keeping it variable. The problem with the CSS style sheet is that it's dependent on the core fonts installed on each system.

In my humble opinion, we need to move away from the Verdana character set ... Arial is the one we'll have the most probability in matching across all systems. Either that, or gamble on the "Default", which can open a new can of worms.

Have you found anywhere , where someone has nailed a new CSS fix? Maybe we need to look at what's going on in the CSS discussion.

I haven't touched it since the last time we talked, since I didn't want to break a fix you were working on like last time. Let me know, and I'll be glad to run through it again. O my browser, it's looking great. Have you received any more error compliaints?

Alex
Old 06-22-2001, 12:48 AM
primos

I'm all for changing from Verdana to Arial/Helvetica/Sans-serif. I think Arial looks better anyway. They're still batting things around over in the CSS forums. Everybody thinks they have a fix. I tried several of those right after the update when I had folks working with me and telling me how it looked.

I haven't changed anything since your last change. I can tell you I tried a lot of things when I was working on it. I tried all variable, all fixed, and a combination of the two. At one point everyone watching for me but Max over at the NT Outpost could read everything okay, including one Mac user. I made a change that helped Max to read the posts, then Phil over in the Photo forum couldn't see the text. I made another change and didn't hear anything about it.

I left it like that. I forget what changes you made after that, but I heard a couple of squeaks. I can't remember who was having problems now. I haven't heard anything else since last weekend. I don't know if some folks are just living with it or if they just aren't coming back.

Anyway, the only thing I haven't tried is defining fixed font sizes in points instead of pixels. You can also use "em" sizes in CSS, but I'm leary of that. I avoided using point size in place of pixel size because I wasn't sure how that would affect Mac users. I know that Macs and PCs have different PPI's on the displays.

Man, I don't know, do you think maybe "Arial, Helvetica, Sans-serif" in fixed "point" sizes across the board would work?
Old 06-22-2001, 11:32 AM
JerryO13

Fixed point sizes are problems depending upon monitor sizes. I use a 21" and usually end up with oversized text. I use nextscapes "override" on the font sizes and occasionally even the color override when I can't tell color differences on some sites. The CKD site doesn't have a color problem. Sometimes a font prob.
Old 06-22-2001, 03:53 PM
primos

Okay, I just switched it from Verdana to Arial, and Mike Koller started seeing small text. So I bumped up the size again.

Good grief, it looks like no matter what we do, it messes someone up.

Old 06-22-2001, 05:49 PM
JerryO13

Terry don't worry about me, I can adjust things from my end, get it working for others. I was just stating what had happened after the last format change.
Old 06-22-2001, 06:10 PM
primos

Oops.

Jerry, I'm sorry man. I just realized that my previous post looked like I was making a direct response to your post, and it sounded kinda "huffy".

Actually though, I was just letting Alex know that I made another change, it wasn't directed at you or your post.

Old 06-22-2001, 07:48 PM
JerryO13

Terry, I did not think it sounded huffy. I was responding cause I posted before about the font type/size and when I came back, low and behold there was a font change and I didn't want you to be changing things when I did not really need them to be changed. Bloody typing people can't understand half the things I mean.

Don't worry about offending me, I'm pretty thick skinned, I used to work as a counterman at an auto parts store, the abuse was incredible and you couldn't take it back out on the customers. But you wouldn't believe how many radiatior hoses I sold for '70 VW beetles and muffler bearings for Mazda rotary engines. Those engines spin you know!

I realize that things have been a little tense in some forums lately, which is why I've stayed out of those conversations, but you don't have to tip toe around me. I'm from New York City obnoxiousness capitol of the world! :evil: See we New Yorkers are actually proud of it, but we generally don't admit it to outsiders, consider yourself in the loop!

Tags
forge