MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 08-07-2016, 12:52 PM
Skilled

The "Wapiti"

I finished the knife I had asked advice on bolster installation. I think it turned out well. OAL is about 8 1/2" divided equally between handle/blade. Cocobolo scales dovetailed into the bolster. Brass pins and lanyard tube. 1/8" 1084 blade.
I ended up shortening the bolster from the rear from what I started with to even up and put the pins at the center point.

Bad picture of the dovetail but you can see it.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!
Old 08-07-2016, 01:07 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Knife looks pretty clean but the logo looks washed out, as if you put it on before you were finished with the blade. Or maybe that's just the picture ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 08-07-2016, 01:22 PM
Hall of Famer

That looks very nice. Well done!

Doug

Old 08-07-2016, 08:04 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post
Knife looks pretty clean but the logo looks washed out, as if you put it on before you were finished with the blade. Or maybe that's just the picture ...
Just the picture. I didn't do anything to the blade after. It's just etched, not blackened.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!
Old 08-08-2016, 10:53 AM
Guru

beautiful

beautiful blade! I love the profile shape I have one I HT but haven't started working yet with a similar shape (well almost anyway) but you did a great job on the bolster (forget good for the first one its just GOOD) I have done a few bolsters but I have never dovetailed it there are a few ways of doing that as I understand may I ask how you went about that dove tail?
Old 08-08-2016, 07:36 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtec1 View Post
beautiful blade! I love the profile shape I have one I HT but haven't started working yet with a similar shape (well almost anyway) but you did a great job on the bolster (forget good for the first one its just GOOD) I have done a few bolsters but I have never dovetailed it there are a few ways of doing that as I understand may I ask how you went about that dove tail?
I tilted the table on a disc sander and pinned the bolsters together backward(left to right). Then ground the bevel on the back of each. Did the same thing with the scales, without moving the table, except oriented them correctly, left to right. When the bolsters are put back in their correct left to right orientation everything matched up perfectly.

Of course all of that was done before anything was shaped or rounded.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!
Old 08-08-2016, 07:37 PM
Skilled

And thanks for all the kind comments!

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!
Old 08-09-2016, 09:17 AM
Guru

ok thanks much simpler than doing it with a file or on the grinder where you end up with differnt angles I have heard of using a special jig to do it but that sounds much much easier I am going to try it next time I do some bolsters
Old 08-10-2016, 12:49 AM
Guru

Very Sleek

Nice profile and form. Great piece of cocobolo. Nice fit with the dovetail too. I like how the thong hole brass is thick and placed well, not too close to the edge.

Tags
1084, advice, bevel, blade, bolster, bolsters, brass, dove tail, edge, file, forge, grinder, handle, jig, knife, knives, lanyard, pins, profile, sander, scales