MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > KNet Classifieds :: For-Sale Forums > The Supply Center

The Supply Center What's Hot ... and where the deals are! Supplies are our specialty ...

Old 03-15-2002, 04:46 PM
Knifemaker01

Pyroceram platen liners.

Super Heat-Resistant Pyroceram

Technically, this is not actually a glass, although it certainly seems like it. It is actually a transparent ceramic material. The advantage of this is that it has an extremely low thermal coefficient of expansion, which is a high-class way of saying that it doesn't try to change size very much when heated or cooled. The advantage of this is when the material is suddenly heated or cooled by a lot, no substantial internal stresses develop, where part of the panel is trying to get larger while other parts stay the same dimensions, which is the main cause of breakage in tempered glass.
Pyroceram still has way more heat resistance, and it is physically less fragile.
This material can continuously tolerate temperatures of 1200
degrees Fahrenheit, and never ages as a result.
Likely a providing longer lifespan the standard Tempered Glass, and so for these reasons I have chosen the Pyroceram material as a replacement.

Disclaimer; I attached the liner with a 2 ton epoxy, and have heard of other makers using several different adhesives and or methods of attaching it to the platen. I cannot be held resposible for your chosen adhesive or method.

Available for shipment now, 2".X6"X1/4" for $20.w/free shipping.

Steve
knives4u3@juno.com

Old 03-15-2002, 04:58 PM
SIGGI

Re: Pyro Ceram platen liners.

Steve,

That's what I've been waiting to hear. I searched around this area and couldn't find anyone that knew what I was talking about.

Thanks,

Bob Sigmon

Check your Mail !
Old 03-15-2002, 05:16 PM
BCB27

Steve,

Can the edges be radiused on this material? Also, can you get it in 12" lengths?

Thanks,
Brett
Old 03-15-2002, 05:24 PM
Knifemaker01

I radiused the edges of mine with the belt grinder no problem. It's kind of interest to grind as it grinds much like steel, but much harder, and glows when ground.
A 12" piece would be twice as much, with a couple weeks or so wait time.

Steve
Old 03-23-2002, 05:09 PM
jdtwlyahoocom

Platten liner

Please send mailing address, price, size avaliable.
Tom
Old 03-23-2002, 05:47 PM
Knifemaker01

Re: Platten liner

I still have 2X6in. in stock, for $20.ea.. And get custom sizes cut for an additional $2.per sq in. Thanks.

Steve
Stephen L. Pryor
HCR1.- 1445
Boss, MO. 65440
www.stevescutlery.com
Old 03-28-2002, 11:31 AM
Tangus

is it $20 total (includes shipping?)-thanks, Dan
what method of payment do you desire-check, mo, etc.
Old 03-28-2002, 01:04 PM
Knifemaker01

Yes, $20. total, for the 2X6in.,shipping free. Check or MO is okay, or even paypal w/additional 3%. Thanks.

Steve
Old 03-31-2002, 04:22 PM
BCB27

Well, I have to say that I am impressed so far. Even after a couple of hours of nearly continuous use, this material remains cool enough to hold your hand against, and the surface isn't marred in any way. The real test is time, but because of the low temperatures, I am confident this material will last. Thanks for finding this stuff, Steve.
Anyone else have anything to share about this material?

Brett
Old 03-31-2002, 06:05 PM
SIGGI

I just got mine glued on today and am waiting for the epoxy to setup. It looks good and I hope that it works as well as everyone is saying! I post back later when I've had a chance to do some grinding.

:

Bob Sigmon
Old 04-02-2002, 08:23 AM
fitzo

Re: Platen Liner

This is the best material I have used for a platen surface. No more "snail trails" on the blade when going to finer grit belts, cool-running, nice plunge cutting. Bevelled/radiused the ends to fit my Bader 2 platen, affixed with Zap-a-Gap, and it's worked fine since. No more surface grinding the platen, no more graphite, micarta, etc. It will chip so you can't throw the platen around or bang things into it, but with a little care it's going to last......highly recommended.
Old 04-04-2002, 08:11 PM
Tom Militano

Platen Liner

Steve, don't I have to have your e-mail address to pay using PayPal? How about e-mailing me so I can order a piece using PayPal. Thanks.
Old 04-04-2002, 09:28 PM
Tom Militano

platen liner

Never mind Steve, I figured out how to do it using PayPal. Just for your information, computers were designed to raise my blood pressure. There is no other reason for them existing. My computer and I have an understanding, I hate it and it hates me, but I hate it more.
Old 04-17-2002, 02:26 PM
Tangus

Tony,
hate is a beautiful thing, but you'll love this platen. Just got mine affixed--works great no heat build up--Dan
Old 04-18-2002, 03:40 PM
Tom Militano

Great stuff!!!

Tags
blade, knife, knives