MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 04-11-2002, 04:18 PM
RWClark

Verdict in BurrKing Tru-Grit lawsuit!

Well mark one up for the goods guys! Sorta.

For those not following the situation. A pudthumper sued Tru-Grit and BurrKing after he seriuosly hurt himself in one of the stupidist grinding accidents I have ever heard of. He was sueing Tru-Grit for not finding out if he was qualified to operate the machine before they sold it to him. He was also sueing BurrKing for selling a machine with a dangerous design and for not listing a warning not to do what he did.

The Verdict is in!

Tru-Grit has been totally excused of all fault and found totally innocent in the case!!!!!

BurrKing was also found to be innocent of the charges of producing a dangerous machine. However the court did rule that BurrKing was partly to blame for not having warnings listed not to do certain things that might case injury or death. The court found that the pudthumper was 15% to blame for being a moron and that BurrKing was 85% at fault for lack of instructions. The court awarded $200,000 to the moron. Which after all is said and done not really all that much.

Now for the good part! The court did not place any gag orders over the case so I can finally release this donkeys rears name.

THE BUTT HEAD IS JOHN DACONEICAO. His makers mark is "JMD".

At this point I am taking a public stance of distain for Mr. Daconeicao! He claims to no longer be making knives. However if he is, I will not be attending any shows that allow this maggot to have a table. I would ask that any makers who feel the same to make thier thoughts known as well. This a-hole was looking to put two good companies and one very fine man out of business. He deserves the same action from all of us. If he ever sells another knife I will be very disappointed!
Old 04-11-2002, 04:46 PM
Troop9242

I think we should also know the legal slime that represented him. If he hadn't found a low-life-looking-for-a-quick-buck lawyer, he and many more worthless lawsuits filed by people like him, wouldn't think about blaming someone else for their own stupidity. Funny how a profession that is suppose to be honorable is filled with such dishonest people, looking for a loop hole to stick it to anyone they can for as much as they can.

Old 04-11-2002, 09:29 PM
CKDadmin

Hooray! For once, justice is served!

Alex
Old 04-12-2002, 05:38 AM
jar

I just hope that Burr-King appeals and that even his $200K gets taken away and that his shyster lawyer sues him for not paying the bill.
Old 04-12-2002, 02:08 PM
Roger Gregory

Anyone know where I can buy one of his knives? I bet it doesn't carry a warning about how I could cut myself

I feel a multi-million dollar lawsuit brewing.....

Roger
Old 04-12-2002, 10:19 PM
Ed Caffrey

HOORAY FOR BURR-KING!! Eventhought that $200,000 might not be much in as far as lawsuit money goes...........the guy is still a creep for even thinking about a lawsuit on something like that!

Roger made me think of something that happened to me about 10 years ago. I sharpened a guys knife for him, and just as he was walking out the shop door I told him ...."I'm not responsible if you go to cutting body parts off with that knife!" More or less in a joking manner. Man, was I glad I did that! It seems he was showing it to a friend, and in the process of telling/showing the friend how sharp the knife was, cut his own hand open to the tune of 16 stitches acroos his left palm! I got a call the next day from his lawyer who told me I was being sued for the medical expenses! Luckily, one of my customer, who is a lawyer, asked me if I had warned him in any way to be careful, I told him what I had said to the fella, and he took care of the rest! Two days later I got a call from the guys lawyer again, apologizing for bothering me, and telling me that it had been a misunderstanding. You better bet that from that moment on, every knife comes with a verbal warning! It's really crazy that we have to do such a thing, but as long as stupid people keep breeding...........

Old 04-13-2002, 08:19 PM
ATFAB

This guy is/was in the business and still managed to to hurt himself with a power tool???

I saw a bumper sticker,
"The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard"

I think the problem is that there are lifeguards!

When will people start taking responsibility for their own actions again?

PaulD

Old 04-13-2002, 10:21 PM
Jon Christensen

Kind of like the guy Paul Harvey talked about a long time ago. Seems he sued a lawnmower manufacturer because they didn't warn him that it wasn't meant to be picked up and used as a hedge trimmer. Guess I should give a verbal warning with all my sales too.
Jon
Old 04-14-2002, 11:22 PM
NickWheeler

Hoo Ray!!!

I had been wondering what ever happened with this.

One of the saddest things now is that Burr King no longer makes a knifemaker's grinder. John told me that this case was the reason.

They are good people and I'm glad that they came out clean. It sure would have been a shame to see it otherwise.

Does anybody know what the guy was actually doing and how he hurt himself? I was told something about him ending up with a blade stuck in his abdomen???

Thanks for posting this Ron!
Nick
Old 04-15-2002, 04:56 AM
jar

There was a case a few years ago. A doctor attending a medical convention stopped by one of the displays. He picked up a scalpel a proceeded to cut himself with it. Sued because the company selling scalpels to doctors didn't warn him it was sharp.

Tags
blade, knife, knives