MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Display Case

The Display Case A place to post your latest knives and creations. Let the Knife Network community see your work first!

Old 04-27-2002, 05:04 PM
jar

a knife

I started with an DDR I and just kept modifying it. The hardest part was engraving all the little squigly lines with my Dremel. I used the diamond bit #421 for the fine lines and a cut down 3/32" bit to do the broad ones. The faux mokume on the bolsters is done by wetting them and then laying the lint from the dryer on it and heating it in my toaster oven.
Old 04-27-2002, 07:10 PM
Osprey Guy

You've got to be kidding. That started out in life as a DDR1?
I'm still trying to catch my breath!
Can you elaborate a little more on technique. I've just got to know how you did that awesome effect. Beautiful!!!!
Dennis
Old 04-27-2002, 09:27 PM
Coop747

He he he!! Ohhhhhh Dennis, he NAILED you!!! OR maybe you are fooling ME!

If you look closely you'll see the 'greenaway' logo on the blade.

That's fun Jim--you had me lookin close for a second or two! I'll have to think up something clever for you. You have a great sense of humor in your pics. I LIKE that--not taking ourselves too seriously here!

Coop

Old 04-27-2002, 10:41 PM
Osprey Guy

Alright. Alright...
Well I'm going to allow you a little more fun by revealing to you just how good you got me:
First let me tell you how long I stared at that picture, thinking how that knife must have been so completely reworked, and STILL wondering how the hell it was done. (The metal scales/liner just didn't make any sense to me)
And then I called my 12 year old daughter downstairs saying "You've got to see what this guy did with a DDR! (she's working on one herself right now). So we both sat and stared in wonder at this great-looking knife. (She commented that in her opinion the torx screw just below the pivot was "out of line" with the rest.)
And then I showed a printed-out photo to my wife (who could care less) saying "and here I thought I was finally starting to get good at these kits!"

...and then Coop had to go and burst my bubble.

You got me reeeeaaal good! (It's 12:30 am. Wait'll I tell my daughter in the morning just how sharp her old dad is...she'll have a good chuckle)

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

Dennis

PS. You've got a really great/creative sense of humor. ("Can you believe he made those lines with a Dremel?")
Old 04-27-2002, 11:18 PM
JHossom

Had me fooled...

Actually you can do some very creative stuff to steel by etching it with Ferric Chloride. 50:50 works well with stainless. I've had some smiths scratching their heads for a couple minutes or more. One even got a little pissed at me for fooling him. You could do it with a DDR blade and make it look a whole lot like a low layer count damascus.
Old 04-28-2002, 02:29 AM
Roger Gregory

Great fun Jim. Make me another.....

Roger
Old 04-28-2002, 10:42 AM
jar

Sorry Folk, The Devil Made Me Do It

It's a Classic Greenaway and must weigh a ton. Even the thumb catch on the blade is Damascus. Smooth as all his are. If it had a clip on it I'd be replacing old faithful.

Tags
blade, knife