MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 08-30-2017, 03:02 PM
Steel Addict

I use an 40 cal ammunition box with a lid that is attached to the table. The box is steel and has a lid. the dimensions are 6X18X9 3/4 and they cost $24 and can be attached to the table with a little effort. My Kiln and forge only hold knives that are a max of 18 inches long. For the money this has been a great alternative. If I make larger knives then I send them out. Larger knives/swords can be more trouble to heat treat that knives. I am not an expert but this has worked for me.
Old 08-31-2017, 06:07 AM

As Ed said - it's all about using your ol' noggin for something other than a hat rack. Another thing to consider is focused attention to the task at hand. It's bad enough when doing a demo and someone just has to ask you a question in mid swing on hot steel (and usually a less than intelligent question at that). But, when you are doing the more "hazardous/dangerous" activities such as quenching, grinding, or buffing interruptions just shouldn't be tolerated. This includes observers/spectators, pets under foot, phones ringing, and doorbells. Just too easy to lose fingers or get seriously injured if/when you lose your focus.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 08-31-2017, 09:16 AM
Guru

You have that right Carl.

I might add don't go out to lunch and get high and come back and HT a part like one idiot where I worked did. He would have been seriously burned if I hadn't of been there to slam the lid shut and he was wearing winter clothes so only his clothes got burned. He failed to quench the part fast enough and the fire leaped up, but luckily didn't explosively flash, it just splashed when he saw his mistake and then submerged the part the rest of the way at the wrong angle.
I'll never understand people like that, who wants to work while they are buzzed, especially doing something potentially dangerous?
Old 09-01-2017, 06:01 AM

Hate to say it but it sounds like you are messing with Nature. She has a way of cleansing the gene pool of defects.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 09-01-2017, 07:20 PM
Guru

Lol

You ought to hear the stories my son has about some of the people who come to the Emergency Room where he works. He feels the same way.
Old 09-02-2017, 04:30 AM
Guru

Very Very True a lot of the time its true what they say the strongest survive a lot of the time the SMARTEST survived...I did a lot of stupid stuff when I wasn't in my "right mind" in all realality its amazing imade it! Being impared and doing something stupid is not a problem for me any more I don't get impared. MY issue now is sometimes I can be incredibly lazy at times....hence using the quench oil in the plastic bucket it came in...pure absolute laziness no excuses there....I have already had enough cuts and ingeries to know this can be very dangerous. The biggest eye opener was when I was grinding he butt end of a 18in knife on the slack of my grinder. It was a knife my friend forged and it had like a lil scroll work on the butt. It cought on th belt and got trown directly int my chest thank god it hit but end first it hit so har knocked me right on my butt and left a bruise the size of a basket ball on my chest for a few weeks. Oh the blade was a lil more than 5/32 thick and it hit so hard it bent almost 45 degrees! I have no doubt if it hit tip first (the belvels were already done not sharpened tho) It would have gone right into my heart and I would be talking to you guys now....But that was laziness again I should have used sand paper and done it by hand.....hurt my self and destroyed the knife
Old 09-03-2017, 06:45 AM
Skilled

I learned at about age 13 never to cut off a piece of wood beetween the blade and fence of a table saw. I mean it is like the first rule of safety when using a table saw. Working tired a few years ago I let my guard down, brain fart, whatever, and decided to trim off a little square from 1/4" plywood. For some inexplicable reason I set it up to cut between the fence and blade. When it cut loose it fired that little square of plywood right into my belly. It literally cut through my flannel shirt, through my tee shirt, cut my skin and badly bruised the surrounding area. Don't want to think what would have happened had it hit my face or some other bare skin.

Point is, pay attention and THINK. It's easy to get too comfortable around dangerous equipment or forget the danger. The gravest mistake is thinking, "It'll never happen to me, I know what I'm doing". And don't work when you are mentally of physically tired.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!

Last edited by WNC Goater; 09-03-2017 at 06:47 AM.
Old 09-03-2017, 02:38 PM
Guru

Amen Goater!
Pray that hurricane Irma stays out to sea and doesn't slam into the Carolinas.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:20 AM
Guru

Ya know my problem.....my brain olny remembers good things....the bad things are forgotten after a couple years this leads to making a mistake at 13 then again at 16 and maybe 19....usually after 3 go arounds I remember....the most recent...mig welding in slippers....I have done this and seriously burned my foot twice now so maybe I can remember that now and be ahead of the curve LOL
Old 09-05-2017, 03:52 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmontg View Post
Amen Goater!
Pray that hurricane Irma stays out to sea and doesn't slam into the Carolinas.
Keeping the prayers going! We're doing the same. Planning on making sure my generator is tuned up. We're a long way from the coast but memories of September 2014 are still fresh in my mind. W N C had much damage & days without power. This thing is a monster. As of this afternoon, 185 mph sustained and over 215 mph gusts. It's like a 500 mile wide tornado!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtec1 View Post
Ya know my problem.....my brain olny remembers good things....the bad things are forgotten after a couple years this leads to making a mistake at 13 then again at 16 and maybe 19....usually after 3 go arounds I remember....the most recent...mig welding in slippers....I have done this and seriously burned my foot twice now so maybe I can remember that now and be ahead of the curve LOL
Never try forging in flip flops. Just sayin...

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!
Old 09-06-2017, 05:26 AM
Guru

Goater....I don't wear flip flops so that wont be a problem but I don't know why I thought my thin cloth slippers would do anything agenst lil droplets of molten metal....actually the problem was I didn't think...

Since the approching hurricane was mentioned prayers will be said that it is not that bad ....But the one that just hit texas USAKNIFEMAKER>COM is collecting donations for knife makers that have had there shop destroyed...they are taking dotanations from $5 up. they are also taking donations of supplies and equipment. Aparently they will take supplies and distribute to makers in need however if you have any heavy equipment they will put you in touch with a maker that may need it...its not going to help every knife maker that was hit by this and even the ones it does help its not going to re build the whole shop....but think if your were a full time maker and supporting a family and your whole shop got destroyed I think Anything that could help you get back on your feet would be huge. My opinion is with all this destruction knife makers are not going to be the first thought that people help so we should stick togather and try to help what ever way we can even $5 adds up. Info is on usaknifmaker.com and they have a link to more details on the knifedogs forum

Tags
advice, art, bee, blacksmith, blades, buy, case, fire, forging, hot, katana, knife, knives, made, make, makers, metal, mount, newbie, plastic, pvc, quenched, steel, steel pipe, supplies