MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:13 AM
Skilled

First full tang

This is my first full tang knife (not counting the 11 small boy scout knives) made from my saw blade steel, quenched in brine with a satin finish, spalted maple handle, and home made mosaic pins.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:52 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

It looks great! Have you done any serious testing on it to see if it really works? Saw blade steel can be unreliable. Cutting a lot of cardboard, shaving some 2x4's or tree limbs, cutting through some iron wire, slicing up some hemp or sisal rope are all good ways to evaluate the blade geometry, handle ergonomics, and edge holding ability of a knife made from uncertain steel ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 02-26-2012, 12:28 PM

Looks good, especially for a first fixed blade. Grind looks excellent. Are you going to make a sheath for it?
Thanks for showing us, can't wait for more.
Steve

Old 02-26-2012, 01:22 PM
Hall of Famer

That is a well crafted knife. The black liner looks nice with the black lines from the spalting. If you have sections in the spalted wood that's a little punky you can do some minimal hardening by soaking it in a hardening oil like boiled linseed oil. If you really want to strengthen it I would send it out for professional stabilization to K&G or WSSI.

Doug

Old 02-26-2012, 02:02 PM
Skilled

I put the last coat of oil on it about 2 hours before taking the picture, so other than cutting some cardboard I haven't done any testing yet. I'm rather curious if it will hold up to the abuse I am going to put it through this week, so i didnt make a leather sheath for it. However, I did just finish another of my interesting cardboard/ duct tape (military camo pattern) sheath with rare earth magnet retaining strap.
I have some really nice looking spalted maple, some of which I tried to stabilize. As fond as a am to doing everything myself If my attempt dosent work out i might have to send some out to get stabilized.
I am also glad i went with the black for the liner, it really compliments the maples spalting. I ended up getting the mixed color bags from usakinfemaker so the other full tang blade i am working on will prob get a red liner with canary wood handle.
And as always, thanks for the compliments
Old 02-26-2012, 03:50 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Send some of that wood to K&G and have it stabilized. Then, put it on a knife, sand it to 400, buff it (no oil or any other finishing) and compare the result to what you stabilized. I'd be very surprised if you ever again bothered to stabilize anything yourself after that ......

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Tags
blade, camo, edge, fixed blade, full tang, handle, hunting knife, iron, knife, knives, leather, military, pins, satin finish, sheath, stabilization, steel, tang