MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:40 PM
Skilled

Just scored a decent little anvil!

I was at Ed's last weekend learning all kinds of good things while puttering around the shop. I got to work on my forging skills and it left me really wanting to come home and pound on some hot steel. BUT........

I was bummed because I was telling Ed what poor condition (and I mean REALLY POOR) my current borrowed anvil is in. It has a huge swayback not to mention not a single corner or edge in even decent condition. One edge is all chipped up badly the other has about a 3/4" radius on the whole edge.

Today, I was at my next door neighbors house of all places and he has a vulcan 100 lb anvil he's not using at all. It's nice and flat and has all good edges. Rebound on it is good but not excellent. And it's on the small side. But it will get me by and get some practice in until June.

That's when I get to go pick up my really good 185 lb. Fisher anvil in perfect condition that's at my Dad's in Michigan. 2000 miles from here.

Just goes to show you what you need might be as close as your next door neighbor.

Now I can put some of the things I learned from Ed to good use! I came back home with a whole notebook full of notes. Time to get busy I guess.

You have nothing to fear but fear itself...........and bears.

Last edited by J. Doyle; 02-15-2011 at 05:57 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:49 PM
Skilled

Send a message via AIM to boatbuilder
anvil

John
Congrats on the anvil find. I seen one (170lbs) on kijji for $250.00. I sent him an offer and waiting to see if he excepts it. I really need another anvil like a hole in the head. I already have 3 peter wrights. 1-580lbs and 2- 170lbs.
I am heading to Ed's tomorrow John and will drop off your stainless steel salt pot.

Jim
Old 02-16-2011, 03:56 AM
Enthusiast

Good for you! Wish I could find a decent anvil..built my own and it works great and even 'rings' when you pound on it!

Gene
Old 02-16-2011, 09:12 AM
Master

Good for you John. Cinch it down tight to something dense.

Congrats, Craig
Old 02-16-2011, 07:40 PM
Skilled

Thanks guys.

Jim- I really appreciate the stainless for my salts. And thanks for taking it to Ed's. The reality is, I probably will see Ed again before I make it up to your place.

Craig- good advice. I've got some cutoff ends from some huge glu-lam laminated beams from my construction days and some really heavy chain for my anvil stand.

You have nothing to fear but fear itself...........and bears.

Tags
anvil, blade, cancer, forging, knife, military, stainless steel