MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:42 PM

opinions on which of three

I read and appreciated what all of you recently said in response to my inquiries about what size of mill/drill I should buy. Well, I've narrowed my selection to one of three offered by Grizzly: Model G1006, Model G3358, and Model 0705. In your opinion, which of the three would be best, most useful, best at a variety of tasks, and long-term most satisfying to a beginner knife maker...who, hopefully, will not always be a novice? How important is that "ISO 9001" designation? Thank you for your continued patience with my questions. Ed, I enjoyed the brief visit with you at the show, and I look forward to taking one of your classes someday. Hadley
Old 06-21-2011, 11:33 AM
Skilled

Hi Hadley

I'm not an expert when it comes to table top mills but if you are not going to do a bunch of heavy duty milling
I'd opt for one of the G0463 or, better yet , G0619 models. I recently got the equivalent to the G0463 and it does a great job of milling guard slots. It's variable speed and has a digital display for z which is handy. It operates very smoothly to boot.

Just my $0.02

Dana
Old 06-21-2011, 02:50 PM
Living Legend

I run the G0463 myself and it is a very versatile machine for a lot of uses. Slotting guards is one of about 50 different jobs I do with it. But any of those you listed will work great and last a long time. I can drill a 1" hole through 2" steel in making hammers. It take a little longer then a full size floor mill/drill would. And make sure that whatever unit you get to also get a heavy vise. I use the Griz 5" which weighs around 80 Lbs.

The G0463 is easy to break down into three pieces which makes it much easier to get it in your shop and mounted ready to go. It still took me and a friend a couple hrs. to get it up and running out of the crate. We used a winch to get the power head up on the column. They look deceptively small (and light) in the pictures. But take notice of the weight.

Hope you get one real soon that will work for you. Post Pics!
Old 06-21-2011, 09:35 PM

mill/drill

Gentlemen, thank you so much for your guidance. I plan to act on it. Respectfully, Hadley
Old 06-22-2011, 04:44 AM
Enthusiast

good luck with ur purchase !!!

Tags
digital, guard, guards, knife, post