MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:53 PM

Cone Crazy

Looking for some tips and tricks with the cones.
I bought some at Crazy Crow and they are paper thin. Is there a better source or a way to make my own?
Next is how to make them look old. Cooking the tin ones in the oven for a few hours puts a nice patina on them but I would really like something like an acid etch all blotchy looking.
The brass ones are another story. I cooked them, soaked them and they are just as bright and shiny as ever. What are those things made of?
Ideas please...
Old 03-29-2011, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

Well original cones were thin too so..........

I use a few thousand of the tin ones (actually tin plated iron) from Crazy Crow every year and have no real problems with being too thin - one to attach them you attach them correctly by knotting the leather whang, or use hair, or use a bead inside - originals were seldom if ever squashed or mashed to attach:

I do make my own at times when I need something bigger or different from either old tin cans, old tin cups or plates, or you can get tin plated iron in sheets.

The tin ones won't really blotch all that much and neither did the originals. To age them and match how the originals looked, I use straight Birchwood Super Blue (not perma blue) - just dump them in and let soak until colored - maybe a couple of minutes (save the old blue and re-use), rinse well in hot water, then put in an old fry pan and heat with a torch to dry or set on a hot plate - the heat also changes the color to a more blue gray which is close to the old ones.
If you want to age them more - before drying dump them in some bleach for about 5-10 minutes - this will cause them to rust up a bit. Be VERY careful and NEVER mix the Blue and bleach directyl - the dried Blue on the cones and bleach is not too bad to work with but still use plenty of ventilation.

I don't use brass cones much as it's mostly an Eastern/pre-1800 thing and most of my work is western. When I do use them, I make them out of 20 or 22 gauge brass sheet (also available from Crazy Crow) - the commercial brass cones are IMO too thin and delicate for my taste.

To color the brass I mix Super Blue and muriatic acid about 1-3 i.e. 1 part blue to 3 parts acid. Soak, wash, and heat.

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:23 PM
Enthusiast

sorry, but what are cones. thanks dave
Old 03-29-2011, 09:10 PM

The cones we are talking about are the metal dangle things that are attached to bags and sheathes for decoration and a clinking sound.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:42 PM
Enthusiast

oh i see . thanks cowboy

Tags
brass, iron