MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 07-09-2001, 08:48 PM
warden

belt sander info

The other day, I was in Sears and saw two belt sanders. I've been looking into buying one, but can't afford one of the premier sanders (Bader, Square Wheel, Burr-King, etc.). One of the sanders is a 4x48(or 46) vertical sander with 8" disk attachment and the other one (the one I'm REALLY wanting) is a 2x48 vertical sander with platen and 8" disk attachment. They both look like pretty good machines. My questions are (1) are they good machines for a new, part-time, hobbyist knifemaker, (2) does anyone out there have any experience with these machines with regard to durability, and (3) which of the two machines described would be the best for me. I prefer flat or convex grinds when making blades.
Old 07-09-2001, 09:18 PM
DC KNIVES

Warden,I think the sander you are wanting is a 2"x 42"not a2"x48".But,in answer to your question, it will work fine for a hobbiest.You will find it a little hard getting a good range of belts but there are some out there.I agree that a nice Bader would be better,but not all of us can afford one.I worked with a 1"x42" for years and got satisfactory results.Hope this helps,Dave
Old 07-09-2001, 10:14 PM
William

I am currently using a Craftsman 2 x 42" belt sander and the only problem I have had is the motor is not sealed and doesn't last long. I picked up one for about 100$ and am back in business.

I get my belts from G. L. Pierce Abrasives and can get any grit I want.

If I had it to do over, I would go for a Coote or Grizzly.

I have ground many knives from the 2 x 42" and will continue till I can afford a Coote.
Old 07-10-2001, 02:49 PM
Squarenutt

belt sander info

I am a newbieand am on a budget. I use the Sears 2X42 an it works for me. I don't have much to compare it with except a Harbor Freight 1x30 inch. The 2X42 was a big step up for me. Hope this helps.
Old 07-11-2001, 09:39 AM
Raymond Richard

Warden, If I were you I'd save my money and get a Coots grinder. I feel after buying all the alternitives instead of buying a knife grinder like I should have I had spent enough money to buy a Hardcore Grinder. All the other grinders that are out there are mainly ment for wood work and as someone had already mentioned the motors aren't sealed not to mention that the prices for the belts are also inflaited. Nothing works better than a knife grinder for grinding knives. I've got a 6X48 and a 4X36 that I have just got crap stacked on. I need to get rid of them, I could stack more stuff if they weren't there. Ray
Old 07-11-2001, 05:06 PM
C L Wilkins

Belt sander info

What Raymond says is true. I too have a 4X36 and a 6X48 Craftsman in the shop that are nothing more than a catch-all and some place to set stuff on. I did grind my first every blade on the 4X36 but it is under the bench collecting dust.

For finishing out kit blades, the 4X36 is acceptable. For grinding blades, it leaves a lot to be desired.

The belt sizes you mentioned, 2X42, can be had but must be ordered and are not necessarily readily available. A number of years ago, I did quite a bit of research and bought a rifle chambered for 25.06. I soon found out that if I were going to buy ammunition over the counter, I would have been much better off getting a rifle chambered for .270, much more of a selection and you can get the ammunition virtually anywhere. The point here is, sure, you can get belts in the 2X42 size but are not necessarily readily available. Belts in 2X72 and 2X48 are much more common and you will find that you tend to have a better selection with these particular sizes. The Coote is a good grinder, Kalamazoo that K&G handles isn't too bad, then there is always the one from Grizzly. I have heard mixed reviews of the Grizzly but a number of folks have them. These aren't the only three, just three that immediately come to mind.

Save your quarters for one, you'll be money ahead in my opinion.

Of the two sizes, the 2X72 belts will outlast the 2X48 size belts. The difference in price between the two is mere cents.

C Wilkins
Old 08-01-2001, 07:41 PM
Fireball

Re: Belt sander info

anyone have a picture of a bader posted to look at?
Old 08-01-2001, 10:34 PM
J Loose

Re: Belt sander info

I used a 1 x 30 Delta for just about a year... it worked acceptably for small knives until the table broke. The motor, the wheels and everything else were fine. Grinding took a while and fine belts wore out almost instantly, but it did work. I may have had no probs with the motor because I worked with an 850 cfm dust collector right next to it, so no small filings got sucked in.

I was in Sears the other day and noticed the machines you are talking about with the thought in mind of suggesting them to the beginner on a budget. Also saw an Enco 1 x 42 with a 1/3 HP motor that looked acceptable; especially considering the price- $119.00. It won't last forever and it won't work quickly, but it will work.

I think these machines are fine for a first grinder at the hobbyist level. You'll really appreciate and utilize that upgrade when you get it, too.

I just upgraded to a Coote and total expenses came to $600 with motor. The next step up is a grand more... this will do for a few more years!

Tags
blade, knife, knives