MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 08-13-2001, 12:58 AM
MIKE KOLLER

looking for suppliers of......

fire brick and castable refractory such as 'Shastacast' .I am in the west memphis area and have checked with who I thought would carry it in Memphis but no luck.

Thanks In advance.
Mike K
Old 08-13-2001, 07:43 AM
Jon Christensen

Mike,
Not sure about your area but I got my fire brick from a wood stove dealer. For the castable refractory I went to EJ Bartells Co.
Jon

Old 08-13-2001, 07:24 PM
joe41272

You can find everything you could possibly need from a company here in Louisiana. The company name is R.A.B., Inc. located in West Monroe. They are a construction company specializing in refractory materials. I've been able to find anything I need there, and they should be able to ship to you. Their address is 6585 Cypress St., West Monroe, La. 71291, and their telephone # is (31:cool: 396-1370. Hope this helps.
Old 08-13-2001, 10:08 PM
MIKE KOLLER

Thanks much!
I have tried the local fireplace shops and no luck .Oh well I will continue to look, If anyone has any links to suppliers on the internet I would appreciate them too .Looks like i will have to pay shipping anyways.
Old 08-14-2001, 06:28 AM
joe41272

Sorry I didn't think of it before. E-mail me at tensasbighouse@yahoo.com and I can send you an e-mail address for someone who carries all the supplies you need. He sells many of the items in individual quantities so you don't have to spend for the whole thing (such as rolls of ceramic insulation). I got the address from Wayne Goddard. Would have put it up in first post, but I forgot about it, and now I don't remember it, but I have it saved in my e-mail address book.

Old 08-14-2001, 03:22 PM
MIKE KOLLER

Ahhh found it local at Insulation and Refractories,Inc522-4300. They keep the material on hand.

thanks for the help!!!
Mike K
Old 08-15-2001, 07:00 AM
Saint Mark

Mike,

Wayne Goddard listed this supply in Memphis in the last issue of Blade.

Lynn Whitsett Corp.
Attn. Darren
Dept BL9
412 Delp Ave.
Memphis, TN. 38118
(901) 365 - 7650
Old 08-19-2001, 03:03 AM
kvistads

Mike:
Fire brick is as common as eight-penny nails here in South GA. I used to lay brick a good bit until a back injury. Here are a few suppliers of fire brick within a 45 mile radius of my location; Jenkins Brick Co., Albany GA., South GA Brick Co., Albany, GA., Double A Concrete Co., Tifton, GA. I seriously doubt they would ship a small quantity for which you are probably looking for but maybe you might know someone coming to FL for a vacation and would pick up a few for you. Let me know if you want a phone number for these places. They also sell Fire Clay which is added to the mortar in oder to improve the durability under severe heated conditions. By the way, fire brick are the most expensive brick you can buy at around .75 to 1.00 a piece. It's been about three years ago since I've purchased any.
Good Luck,
Russell

Tags
blade, knife