MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 08-10-2001, 02:36 AM
TC Howery

Titanium Nitrade blade finish

Does anyone know how to get a titanium nitrade finish on a blade?

Also, does anyone know how to get that 'black' Teflon coating/finish, like the ones on many factory knives?
Old 08-10-2001, 04:33 AM
kvistads

TC:

Can't help with the titanium nitrade finish, but was wondering if the finish you were refering to as "Teflon" might be "parkerized" as many military rifles are. I personally couldn't see why it wouldn't work. Maybe someone else can suggest something. Good luck.

Russell
Old 08-10-2001, 06:16 AM
Ed Caffreye

Ti Nitride

Titanium Nitried is done in a lab enviroment. I read up on it a few years ago and my personal opinion is that it's not suited to blades. The reason being is that it is only a coating of around 2 thousandths thick. The first time the blade is sharpened, all benifit is lost.
The other coating you mention is simply cosmetic. The most common name for it is Kal-guard. It is sprayed on, and then baked. This is also true for the teflon finishes. The most common item you find being used now a days is Brownell's baking laquer. Available at www.brownells.com
The Ti Nitride will hold up to abuse on the exterior of the blade, but it is also a pricey venture. Anywhere from $50-$100 per blade, depending on size. The bottom line is that any one of them will wear off over time and use.
Old 08-10-2001, 01:18 PM
TC Howery

Re: Ti Nitride

Thanks for your input Ed, I appreciate it. I knida thought that might have been the answer but I wasn't certain. I was under the impression that the titanuim nitride finish helped in keeping scratches from the finish when the knife blade is being used on coarse cutting material. Too expensive for the trade off though!

Thanks again.

T.C.

Old 08-10-2001, 06:41 PM
Shadowenterprise

Ti Nitride is fine on production knives, however for a custom I cannot see feasibility in using it.

It does wear after about a year and a half of daily use.
Old 08-24-2001, 03:35 AM
TC Howery

Thanks for yor input Jason. I don't think I could find anyone to put the Ti Nitride finish on a knife here in Spain anyway.

Tags
blade, knife, knives