MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 10-02-2001, 09:30 AM
Jeremy M

Grizzly 2 X 72

Hi, I was wondering how Grizzly's 2 X 72 rates. It seems really reasonably priced, Anyone know how the quality is ?
Old 10-02-2001, 12:35 PM
BCB27

Jeremy,

Welcome to the forum.
I have a stock Grizzly and one that has been modified with the help of Rob Frink. Here is the link to a post over in Tool Time with the details. There are also pictures from Greg showing what he has done with his. pub42.ezboard.com/fcustom...ID=3.topic
As soon as I have the pictures developed, I will post them there with a complete review. If you are looking for an inexpensive grinder without outgrowing it in six months, this is my recommendation. The cost of this setup (without a motor) is about the same as the factory model. I set mine up with a DC motor and contoller for less than $600. If you have any questions, feel free to post them or email me.

Brett
Old 10-02-2001, 03:10 PM
Jeremy M

What is the downfall of the stock Grizz 2 X 72, is it that it only has a 1hp motor?
Old 10-02-2001, 03:13 PM
Don Cowles

Jeremy, if you use it as delivered, there are a couple of shortcomings:

1)- It is a fixed speed unit
2)- Using the 8" contact wheel, you are likely to be frustrated by mechanical interference when grinding one side of the blade.

If it's all you can manage, it's way better than nothing.

Old 10-02-2001, 07:44 PM
BCB27

Don mentioned the permanent problems with the Grizzly. There are other problems, but they are easily remedied. The platen is mild steel and is not flat. I remedied this by attaching a piece of hardened O-1 over the original. The rest isn't very good and the positioning is poor, IMO. I made my own that mounts behind the platen. The idler assembly requires some stabilizing and adjustment to align the wheels, but that is routine maintenance stuff to me. I think much of the Grizzly's poor reputation is due to people not knowing how to properly align the wheels for good tracking. Both of mine track as well, and in some cases better, than the high dollar machines I have used. The stock Grizzly just doesn't have the options and out-of-the-box quality of those other machines. You mentioned the motor. I have found it to be more than sufficient. I don't lean into it very hard, though. If you decide to get the Grizzly in either configuration, be sure to tell them that you want the contact wheel checked for trueness before shipping.

Brett
Old 10-03-2001, 08:32 AM
Jeremy M

Thanks Guys you have been a great resource, I thank you for your time and help.

Jeremy

Tags
blade, knife