MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 08-02-2001, 09:28 PM
joe41272

mill scale

I've got some 1095 bar stock and am making a knife out of it. Does anyone know the best way to remove the mill scale from the bar stock? I've profiled the blade and the scale is polishing a brand new 80 grit belt. Also, any information regarding heat treatment of 1095 would be greatly appreciated. I normally use O-1, but ran out and have some more on order, so I thought I would use my one piece of 1095 while waiting for the O-1.
Old 08-02-2001, 10:51 PM
Ed Caffrey

I usually use a small angle grinder to remove forge scale. Scale will chew a new 50 grit blue zirconia belt to the nubs in no time, and it's worth the savings in belts for me to add the extra step of grinding the scale off with an angle grinder. (this is the type of grinder used for auto body applications)
As for the heat treatment of 1095, take a look at the subject over on my forum, there are in much good input on the subject there.
Old 08-03-2001, 01:39 PM
BCB27

Leave your blanks in white vinegar overnight or longer. It won't harm the steel. Scrub with steel wool or scotchbrite while rinsing in water. It's saves a lot on belts!

Brett
Old 08-03-2001, 08:28 PM
joe41272

I posted the question kind of late last night, so I didn't see any responses until tonight. I remembered reading somewhere that a maker uses the vinegar to remove the scale on his ATS-34. I tried it on the 1095 and it worked like a charm. Thanks, guys!

Tags
blade, forge, knife