MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 09-22-2001, 04:08 PM
Shyningnight

Vegetable Oil as Quench?

Well... I have been using Vegetable oil for a couple years (same tank of it, actually....) for two reasons;

1) I'm poor, and couldn't afford anything else at the time (4 years ago) and;

2) I'm too cheap to switch now.. since it seems to work. At least it has for the 5160 "blacksmithed" knives I've made so far.

What's got me wondering, since I've never used any OTHER kind of oil for a quench.. is how does it compare to other oils, like petroleum or mineral oil?

And for an especially off the wall question... a friend and I were joking about if we made a knife for our friend "bob" (name changed to protect ourselves from "bob") it would be appropriate to use a Beer Quench....
Well... That sorta had me wondering... Would Beer make a decent quench? :-) Would that be faster than a brine quench?

Thanks in advance!
Paul F.
Old 09-22-2001, 04:32 PM
Little Hen Knives

hehe, I don`t know if it would work...prolly..lol but I too like vegetable oil for a quench...cheap and it works!
Old 09-22-2001, 05:39 PM
Fireball

i have used lard to quench "hot" stuff that i grind when making locksmith picks/small tools. i sort of get a rhythm with a song
and grind 1-2-3 quench , grind 1-2-3 quench . the pattern seems to keep from overheating and weakening the metal and the lard works great for me. :-)
Old 09-23-2001, 07:47 PM
joe

different oils

The difference between mineral and vegetable is pretty much price, both quench at about the same speed. The petroleum oils are usually slower. Fish oil is pretty fast. For 5160 you've got a pretty long time to cool under critical because it's such a deep hardening steel, so you should be all right. I've quenched 1084 and 1095 as well as w-1 in vegetable oil (actually the liquid crisco stuff) and had full hard blades.

Right now, though, I don't think you can beat a water-quench on the low alloy stuff. As for the beer, in certain northern parts of the US, old timers occasionally heat up a fire-poker to red-hot and quench it in their beer--gives a carmelized kind of flavor to the beer. I've tried it a few times with a thin w-1 rod, and it hardened like a water-quench. I really doubt that beer would be faster than brine, brine being just about the fastest quench out there.

-Joe

Tags
knife, knives