MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 09-08-2005, 10:36 PM
Steel Addict

Old Drill Press

I recently picked up an old Craftsman drill press (model #103.23620) at the flea market. It is in very good condition for its age. It is listed in the Sears catalog from 1947. I intended to use it as a one time setup for small folder parts but of course I need to rebuild the spindle to correct 50 plus years of runout. Haven't been able to find an old manual for it yet on line. Does anyone have a source for this manual? Thanx, Pat McGroder
Old 09-09-2005, 10:40 AM
Master

Dont know if this is the problem but, if it is the bearing, just remove and take to a good bearing shop and they should be able to find a correct replacement. Hope this helps. The old machines are built so much better then the new machines. Hope you get it up and running.

Old 09-09-2005, 11:30 AM
Steel Addict

Thanks, Dan. I also have the drill press' bigger brother, built in the same year and it is the "industrial version" which has bearings and is rock solid. This smaller one has a bronze sleeve. I took it apart last night and was able to install a .001 shim on its entire length and it really made a difference. It still has its issues, though.I think the rest of the problem is in the machined casting that the assembly passes through and I don't see enough room in there to tighten it up any. I wanted to set it up for my tapping head. The head has a built in "tolerence", I think, of .002-.003 forgiveness so I'll keep playing with the setup and see how it does. Your right, these machines were built so much better back then compared to similar presses today.If the tapping head doesn't work out the press will still be more than adequate for other setups. And best of all, the "big brother" will finally get to be with his "little brother" after being apart for 58 years. Thanx, Pat