MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 09-19-2001, 04:57 AM
calvin

bone

I read a post that bone will age and crack. I stabilize bone with Danish Oil and have never had the problem of cracking.....yet. Anyone out ther with cracked bones and if so.....was it stabilized.....and if so what do you do to stop it......thanks
Old 09-19-2001, 08:43 AM
Dana Acker

Calvin, what's your process? Sounds interesting. I work a lot with bone.
Old 09-19-2001, 11:10 AM
William

The only cracked bone I have seen is on one of my father's pocket knives, made in Pakistan, I changed the blades out a few years ago and he uses it nearly every day for a work knife.

The bone apears to be second cut and the cracks start at the pins, probly peaned to hard and was not stablized. Plus don't know what kind of bone was used.

From what I have seen, a good solid bone that is not stressed and is treated with a good oil such as mineral oil will hold up wonderfuly. Bone at one time was used extensivly for knife handles and if not beat on will last nearly forever.
Old 09-19-2001, 06:23 PM
calvin

bone stabilizing process

Hi Dana
Just did a tutorial for the primitive skills forum. Go there and look under Stabilizing Handle Material by me and you will see the process. Let me know if you can not find it and I will cut copy and paste you a copy. I have real good luck with the process. I use it on bone horn and wood.
Old 09-20-2001, 10:09 AM
Tom Militano

Re: bone stabilizing process

Calvin,
Where exactly is the primative skills forums located at? I can't seem to find it. Of course the older I get the harder it is to find my shop at times.
Tom

Old 09-20-2001, 02:28 PM
calvin

primitive skills forum

Hi Tom
I know what you mean. Sometimes I can not find where I live. I understant that it gets worse as we age. I have not known who I am for many years.....but I do now where the primitive skills forum is and you will too now. Go to:
pub88.ezboard.com/ftheneo...mithsfrm12
Let me know if you like it.
Old 09-20-2001, 05:47 PM
Tom Militano

Primitive Skills Forum

Thanks Calvin, that's a very interesting site and I will be checking it on a regular basis.
Tom

Old 09-21-2001, 09:45 AM
Raymond Richard

Re: Bone

Calvin, I checked out what you had to say. My question is how much penatration have you been getting? Is the handle material at finish shape when you cook it? Ray
Old 09-21-2001, 11:04 AM
calvin

penetration

No It is usually not any where near finish stage when I stabilize it. In shaping and getting it to a finished stage I have found that the oil is all through it so I guess that I am leaving it long enough to get good penetration. The center of some pretty thinck deer leg bones that I treated without cutting them at all had oil penetration in the center. I guess the longer you let them simmer the better penetration you would get but........I don.t lilke to "cook" bones too much because it makes them brittle. I tried to use some large rib bones that I had smoked and they were so brittle that putting a file or tool to them caused them to shatter immediately.
Old 09-23-2001, 11:19 PM
William

Re: penetration

I liked the tutorial on stabililzation Calvan, one question though, how does the the stabilized wood hold up to rough use? Such as damp, humid conditions and dayly use?

I like to make users with carbon steels and was wondering how well it would wear.

Also wondering if Tung oil would work in your process?
Old 09-30-2001, 03:59 PM
calvin

bone stabilization

Hi
I am sure tung oil would work. The contents of tung oli call for special handling I think. If I remember right its use was terminated due to its toxcicity???? or perhaps for some other reason. It is an oil persative and I don't see why it would not work.
Old 09-30-2001, 04:06 PM
calvin

stabilized wood

I use the Danish oil on all the materials that I use for handle and that includes wood. I live in S. Louisiana and the humidity and vasilating conditions are probably as bad as anywhere. The knives that I make are functional pieces for Deer Hunters, Trappers and Folks that have a need for a tool (knife) I have not had any problem with my handles suffering from humidity or heavy usage. The hold up well. I have some bone and wood that is aging quite well and had not withdrawn from the original installation marks. I have not been making knives more than 10 years so I can not say that mine have not had any problemrs in the 12 and 15 and 20 year range. I hope to be able to know this one day. Make a sharp instrument and have a good time.
Old 09-30-2001, 09:17 PM
William

Re: stabilized wood

Thanks Calvan, will have to try it.

Tung oil is still on the market along with linseed oil and several other finishes, but no Danish oil in Mississippi.
Old 09-30-2001, 11:21 PM
Calvin

Danish Oil

The Danish Oil is made By WATCO. I have not tired to get any in MS. In face the last time I bought two gallons and still have a lot left. It does not take a lot and it last a long time if you do not spill and reuse. I get mine at the local hardware but someone told me tha WalMart has it?????

Tags
knife, knives