MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 10-19-2001, 12:30 AM
MudBug007

Newbie Questions

Can someone tell me how to obtain a few patterns? I mean without spending hundreds of dollars on custom knives you like or without holding up a knife show.
I'm about ready to try my hand at making my first knife. Problem is I can't find a pattern of the one I want to make (Loveless style DP). I was just wondering how some of the other members go about it.
Also, while we're on the subject, I notice in some photo's of the different shops some of you have patterns hanging on the wall or in a drawer....what material is used to cut your patterns? Micarta? Lexan?

Finally, were can you get a grinding magnet, I stopped by my local welding shop and asked and then they showed me the angle magnets...not what I was wanting...they then told me they weren't sure what I was talking about!!

Thanks in advance,

Donnie
Old 10-19-2001, 01:27 AM
ansoknives

Paterns...yes I have a wall full of them too. I make them of 1/8 flat iron.....I believe you can get it in an autobody shop pretty cheap. It is great to use patterns as you get the same profile every time and the holes for pins and lanyards etc can be put in the pattern too. For those you can use a 1/8 drill too.

As for getting some....start drawing knives you like.....by doing so you will start getting you own design ideas and even though you started out with a know design what you end up with is yours.

As for magnets...try some of the supplyers like Koval or Texas Knife Supply
Old 10-19-2001, 05:11 AM
MIKE KOLLER

Patterns are made of several things from paper to iron.If you use something that will can/will get destroyed make sure you have a master pattern put away some where safe,but dont spend much for material if you can keep from it.Because as you develop your skills your patterns will more then likely change to some degree.

Hope this helps.
Mike K
Old 10-19-2001, 06:10 AM
Don Cowles

I make most of my patterns from discarded plastic vertical blind slats, or vulcanized fiber spacer material. They hold up well enough for my relatively low production level.

For design ideas, any of the knife magazines or the Knives annual should provide a wealth of stimulation.
Old 10-19-2001, 02:05 PM
Bob Warner

I make mine out of 1095.
Profile to exact shape I want
Drill all of the possible holes I may need in a knife of that design
Write the dimentions on the holes so I know what drill bit, reamer and/or tap to use for that hole
Write the model of the knife if you name them.
Heat treat it and do not temper it.

It is very hard and you can scribe around it or drill through it without modifying it at all.

This is for stock removal stuff only (for me). I mostly forge my stuff and just make what looks good to me or try to forge CLOSE to a drawing. I have a whole notebook of drawings and will someday make them all.

Let us know what you decide.
Old 10-19-2001, 02:07 PM
MJHKNIVES

I use 1/8" plexiglass,draw my patterns out on graph paper,cut them out and glue to the paper covered plexiglass,cut them out and profile them.Drawing your own patterns is a good experience and will help you develop your own sense of style.After I do a new pattern,I leave it beside my chair for a week or two,if it still looks good then,I will start making knives from it.
Old 10-19-2001, 02:41 PM
Kevin Miller

Hey Fellow Newbie

Click here for all kinds of patterns, and here for a Loveless style hunter.

Old 10-19-2001, 09:28 PM
MudBug007

THANKS!

Now I have knife info overload! Really, I thank everyone, that is one terrific website, I can see it's gonna be another late nite here!
I love the ideas on patterns also.
I should have mentioned that I have tried just over 2 dozen drawings on my own. I reinforced a theory I have had for many years...I am no artist! The patterns I have in a box resemble nothing like a knife! But I keep playing around with trying to draw one...now thanks to that site I can fudge a little!

Thanks all

Donnie

Tags
forge, knife, knives