MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 10-24-2001, 07:07 PM
Bill Foote

12" contact wheel

I'm going to grind chef's knives with 1/8" X 2" ATS34. Does a 12" 60 duro plain contact wheel sound like the right one to go with?
Old 10-25-2001, 04:58 AM
Don Cowles

Bill, somewhere in our archives is a mathmatical formula/spreadsheet for calculating the proper contact wheel for stock of varying width and thickness. I don't think 12" is enough for a 2" wide blade, though. Aren't most chef's knives flat ground?
Old 10-25-2001, 02:14 PM
Geno

FLAT for a chef's knife.
Perhaps a slightly convex grind for the meat cutter(for deep cuts). Hollow grinds don't work well in the kitchen because of the suction and friction caused by the geometry of that design.It winds up getting pintched at the top of the blade.
It is not a reflection on the maker, just the wrong design for the job.
Old 10-25-2001, 05:33 PM
SIGGI

I searched for the discussion on wheel size vs blade size & thickness and didn't come up with any thing.

If anyone has a copy of this information (formulas), could you please post it for us beginners?

If would certainly help keep good stock out of the scrap bin through bad calculation. It'll fill up quick enough through bad technique.

Thanks,

Bob Sigmon
Old 10-25-2001, 08:47 PM
Bill Foote

Tried the flat grind tonight. I needed to improve on the Bader platen by flattening it and file a radius on the edges. Should I leave a small amount unground along the spine and grind it to the edge after heat treat?
Never thought of a hollow grind as being a hinderance in food prep, but it makes sense.
Thanks
Old 10-26-2001, 10:37 AM
BCB27

Bill,

On full tang knives, I grind to the spine before HT. As with any knife, you won't want to break the spine at the top of your plunge cut. You will need to reflaten your tang once you get it back, which will drop your grind line back down a little, giving you room to thin out your edge and get everything straight.

Brett
Old 10-26-2001, 02:32 PM
MJHKNIVES

Bud Nealy grinds kitchen cutlery on a contact wheel,but I believe it is 14-18",BIG.You might give him a call and ask him.
Old 10-28-2001, 03:13 AM
Bill Foote

The flat grinding is hard to get used to. I got some two inch marks from letting the blade go off angle a little. Got rid of them but you have to concentrate alot to keep it parallel with the platen, moreso than the contact wheel. Here's a 12"OA
ats34 1/8" flat ground chef ready for HT.....

Tags
blade, knife, knives